Self-Esteem Stems From Praise | Teen Ink

Self-Esteem Stems From Praise

June 26, 2014
By wwaterbugs BRONZE, Grandview, Missouri
wwaterbugs BRONZE, Grandview, Missouri
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Parents, school faculty members, and teachers do not condone praising students for unsatisfactory work because they believe that it will lead them to believe that they do not need to put their best effort into their work. However, self-esteem often stems from encouragement. If a student is commended for his/her best or worst schoolwork, then they will have a better attitude towards school, become motivated to do better in the future, and a better relationship between the student and their teachers will develop.

Encouragement for students could result in a better school environment. This generation of students are bitter when they attend school because they do not have any motivation to participate. Their bitterness causes physical fights, arguments between teachers and classmates, and lack of focus. If a teacher or parent provides a student with confidence through compliments, then they will see a reason to complete future schoolwork, focus better, and possess a better attitude about school in general.

If a student's self-esteem is built up, then that confidence will not only apply to classwork. The student will become determined to do better at work and at home if they are encouraged to do so. The student will work harder to receive more praise from his/her family, managers, or coworkers. This will ultimately cause them to become a better, more hardworking individual.

Praise from a teacher towards a student is very significant in the United States school districts. That praise forms a bond between the two that lasts throughout the entirety of the student's stay at the school. If more school teachers motivated and complimented their students on their work, then relationships between them would be established quickly. Students would see their teachers in a more positive light and would feel cared for.

Although some teachers and parents feel that praise is unnecessary, it is proven that students need to be encouraged in order to do better, even if their work is not suitable to begin with. Self-esteem is coddled, and young school goers must be built up by praise to become independent, smart, notable people in the future. Praise from family and educators can make the difference between a successful student and an unsuccessful student.


The author's comments:
This piece is a persuasive essay assigned by my English teacher. We were given a list of eight writing prompts and were instructed to choose one of them and write a five-paragraph essay. I hope that teachers reading this article will realize that their students are human (although it may be hard to believe at times) and need to be motivated and praised.