Our Schools, Our Voice | Teen Ink

Our Schools, Our Voice

June 24, 2014
By TheIdealist SILVER, New York City, New York
TheIdealist SILVER, New York City, New York
7 articles 0 photos 18 comments

Favorite Quote:
"We all die. The goal is not to last forever. It's to create something that does."


I want to try a little experiment. I’m a rising high school junior who wants to pursue a career in education. Right now I’m interested in education reform and policy. I want to hear your opinions on what’s wrong with education in the U.S., from elementary school to college.

What do you like about it?

What’s wrong with it?

What do YOU think should be done?

Leave your thoughts in the comments section and I’ll take a poll.


The author's comments:
I've wanted to be a teacher ever since I was in the 8th grade. Lately, I've delved deeper into my interests and discovered that I want to go on to be a college professor, maybe ever the Chancellor of NYC Public Schools. With my junior year (and the college admissions process only a few months away), I decided to do some research on several schools in the country. I noticed several corrupt aspects of the admissions process, everything from tuition to legacy policies to affirmative action. I also noticed that it all ties back to primary and secondary education. I wanted to find out the opinions of my peers and pool their ideas into a possible solution.