Current Educational System | Teen Ink

Current Educational System

By monkeyluvs2write GOLD, Falls Church, Virginia
monkeyluvs2write GOLD, Falls Church, Virginia

“What man calls civilization always results in deserts. Man is never on the square – he uses up the fat and greenery of the earth. Each generation wastes a little more of the future with greed and lust for riches.” -- Don Marquis

Prompt:
If we are afraid to reveal our lack of knowledge we will not be able to learn. In order to make progress we must admit where we are now. Such an admission of ignorance is not easy. As Thoreau says, “How can we remember our ignorance which our growth requires, when we are using our knowledge all the time?”

Assignment:
Does the present system of education encourage us to admit our lack of knowledge, or is there too much pressure to demonstrate the acquisition of knowledge? Plan your response, and then write an essay.

The system of education that we are a part of is one that encourages us to speak up about what we don’t know and what we want to know. Schools are always looking to teach kids something new, to fill our brains with knowledge, and help us grow as individuals. The assessments and test that students are forever complaining about are one of the means by which we are given an opportunity to admit our lack of knowledge. Yet, the community of education that everyone is apart of doesn’t stop at the boundaries of our schools. Kids are always part-taking in other activities such as Science Olympiad, Math Counts, Odyssey of the Mind and so many others. These programs collaborate with our schools to provide us yet another opportunity to admit our lack of knowledge. But they don’t stop there, they go to the next step and guide us on our journey to acquiring knowledge.

Ever since the elementary school, students have had to deal with the looming prospects of tests. Students have come to dread these things because they force us to admit what we know and what we don’t know. Pre-tests are given to test students’ knowledge to see where they stand, and based on that a teacher is able to direct the students towards a path that is right for them. Assessments help us understand what we have learned and what we still need to learn. Assessment are not the end of something, they are the window that let you see into whole another world where knowledge is just waiting to be acquired. Programs like Science Olympiad and Math Counts and Odyssey of the Mind are all examples of what our system of education is willing to do for us so that we can be better educated. Programs like these give students an opportunity to ask questions and not be afraid to do so. They allow creativity to flow without any obstacles. They provide us with a means to see past our small bubble that we are all trapped in as students and provide a safe path that allows us to wander into the bigger world.

All in all, I think that our current educational system does a splendid job of making sure that we can admit our lack of knowledge, and work towards acquiring more knowledge at the same time. It shows us that learning has no age limit and that if you have the will to learn and become more knowledgeable, then there is nothing in this world to stop you. It makes sure that we are aware of the fact that it is only when we can’t admit our lack of knowledge that we are faced with a problem.

I am trying to improve my timed essay writing skills, and I thought that maybe I will get some good constructive criticism on Teen ink! I planned and wrote this essay in 30 minutes so if there is any advice or tips on how to better my work, I will really appreciate it.