Courage | Teen Ink

Courage

August 6, 2013
By McKaylaShelbieDiana SILVER, Kuching, Other
McKaylaShelbieDiana SILVER, Kuching, Other
5 articles 1 photo 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
“You see, you closed your eyes. That was the difference. Sometimes you cannot believe what you see, you have to believe what you feel. And if you are ever going to have other people trust you, you must feel that you can trust them, too--even when you’re in the dark. Even when you’re falling.”
― Mitch Albom, Tuesdays With Morrie


Courage in simple words means an act of bravery. Certainly, that is not just it. Courage takes a bigger picture of an act of bravery. It is about will plus the big word, BELIEVE. When one is courageous enough to do what is right, he earned the utmost respect of human spirit. While some may see being courageous has to be doing a big thing, it boils down to a thing as small as saying “Sorry, I was wrong”

Every effort and intentions need courage. Take love for example. When is the right time to profess love? Ask your inner courage. One has to believe in his or her own actions and weighs its possibilities also the what ifs. Consequences of your actions have to be put in high considerations. Chances are, he lives miles away from you. Will you be courageous enough to face the toils of long distance relationships? Nevertheless, many actually do end up at the altar. Again comes the word, BELIEVE.

Secondly, truth. You have made mistakes, a permanent scar was implanted on the hearts you violated. Truth is to be known, as bitter or as hard it is. A seed of hate may have been planted to the victims of your lies. By keeping your own lies, you are condoning to the act which society believes is very intolerable (although they have secrets themselves) Prepare your courageous heart, plan decisions and explanations but believe in your own will of telling the bitter truth.


Next, ponder on this. “When will I stop calculating risks and rewards and do what I want to do? You have a lot on your bucket list, go out of your comfort zones and fulfill it. Each day gives a peculiar reason to live. Getting out of your comfort zones takes a whole courage. Do it. Believe in your own will. Although this is a long process, slowly, your courageous heart will win. Changing the way you live is a leap of faith. You set out on a narrow way and found yourself lost but you found a dream you are wishing for. Are you courageous enough to leave all that you have achieved and go for your new found dreams? Ahh, believe!

Finally, chances and courage. How many chances do you take in life? How many chances have you given in life? Are chances given and taken are of equal balance? Everybody slips and falls but some are just too unlucky to fall twice. When he or she is courageous enough to explain the whole truth although it pierced your heart, you have to be courageous enough to give them a second chance. Take a step back and put yourself in their place. Do not make decisions alone as it would fester emotional wounds but work through issues with open communication. When chances are given, the person changes for the better and it acts as a testament of give and take in future.

Courage is a weapon armed in everyone’s heart. You know when to take your guns and load the bullets. Remember the big word, BELIEVE. Keep on hoping, wait patiently, let courage be your strongest army. At the end of the day, you will be rewarded with lots of troops from acceptance and joy.


The author's comments:
Once a super introvert girl, missing many golden opportunities to grab the chance, I wrote this in my English class and it was one of the contributing piece that made me got a callback from Seventeen Magazine Malaysia in their Preliminary Top 10 Rising Stars Issue.

Happy Kayla is happy! :)