Some of the Issues that Public Education Faces:School Districts | Teen Ink

Some of the Issues that Public Education Faces:School Districts

By PrestonRoss GOLD, Berthoud, Colorado
PrestonRoss GOLD, Berthoud, Colorado

Hope is the rise of rebellion and the downfall of nations.

The general idea that schools must depend on a larger group to support them is pathetic. The first problem is how funding is spread to schools within a district, by student numbers and performance. Bigger schools commonly do better on tests then other, less funded schools only because they have more money in the first place, then, as a school tests better and better, the amount of funds they are given also increases. This example is most common in elementary or primary schools. As time goes on, the competing local schools in that area become worse due to worse funding every year because parents start sending their children to the 'better' school, also putting smaller schools at a disadvantage. In all simplicity, money and size are in perfect unison. Thus, in this case, bigger IS better.

The next problem that appears in any districts is good regulation of funds. When a select schools have little representation on the school board, they are ignored when important and controversial topics. For example, if regulations on certain snack machines items that the smaller schools use to help gain more funds are no longer allowed in the schools, the places in the district that used those items to survive will suffer immensely.

My school district has always surprised me with some of the regulations and rules that must followed in any situation, all they do is favor certain schools, and slow everything down.