Day Dreaming | Teen Ink

Day Dreaming

I was sitting in class one day, supposed to be paying attention to a long, boring lecture. Then, suddenly, memories and thoughts start to flow through my head. The teachers try to help when my grades go down, but I just can’t seem to focus. Unexpectedly, my teacher calls on me and asks me something about “the patriotic and America.” I have no idea what he was talking about because I had so many thoughts running through my mind. Because of the day dreaming, I didn’t receive a good grade that day. The next day, I tried to focus again, but for some reason if a teacher is just talking and talking, I seem to lose interest and think about other subjects. It is not only lectures I am bad about it’s also procrastination on homework and assignments. For example, this class is almost over and I can’t focus on writing a full page in just fifteen minutes.

According to Google.com procrastination means, “putting off, delaying, or deferring an action to a later time.” If I could change one thing about me it would be my procrastination. Day-dreaming can become a very important role in procrastination, which I have a bad habit of. When I need to read a book, do an essay, do my anatomy homework, or just simply doing my chores at home, I seem to put them off until last minute.

I feel this can affect not only me but many people around me. Procrastination is a bad habit that I would really like to change. I think that if I can change this about myself I would have better grades, accomplish more things, and have a better future after high school. I always see other students finish their work done and having really good grades. I think that I overwhelm myself. Having better grades and smarter student, which can land me into good colleges and scholarships.

I think I may have a few ideas about how to change this problem of mine, by trying to focus on the teachers. Try finding key things that are interesting in the topic that is being lectured about and asking questions so that I am involved. I am going to try to study more and do all my homework when it is assigned. Aside from school, I can do my chores right when I arrive at home. Take care of my dog and teach her new tricks. I am going to start changing now, with this paper. Eleven minutes has passed and I am almost done because I focused just on what to write my friend is talking about, which was his wavy hair.