a choice i must make | Teen Ink

a choice i must make

By j.s.tucker GOLD, Eden, North Carolina
j.s.tucker GOLD, Eden, North Carolina

For a while now I’ve been trying to figure out what I should do for a career. I’m going to be a senior in high school next year and the time is approaching for me to make a decision. I’m torn between doing something I really love and doing something that will pay the bills and provide me with a steady source of income.

I come from a very low income family and because of that all I have to do is look around me and know that I do not want this life for myself. It is so important for me to know that when I get older I can have a steady job and live comfortably without worrying about how I’m going to pay my bills. But this isn’t as easy a choice for me to make as it should be.

I love to write, and I love books but there isn’t much money you can make from that and there aren’t a lot of things you can do with a degree in English or Journalism. I defiantly do not want to teach and I hate watching the news so there is no way I would actually want to make it. The thought of prying into people’s lives or putting my own life in danger my snooping around in another country sickens me.

At the same time I’m just not sure if I can force myself to do something everyday that I don’t love. My best choice is computers. I love technology and have always gotten a rush whenever I got my hands onto a computer, but at the same time I just don’t know if I would enjoy doing it everyday. Plus I know that there is some level of math involved with it and I have not been to well at math.

The economy is bad and it seems like it is only getting worse. So do I suck it up and look at my career as something I just need to do to pay the bills but not necessarily like or should I try to find something I might like doing that involves me writing . This is a choice I must make, but not an easy one.