homework | Teen Ink

homework

By rubidew BRONZE, Satellite Beach, Florida
rubidew BRONZE, Satellite Beach, Florida

Homework is a word that rolls bitterly of the tongue of students across the globe. The thought of more mind numbing school work after seven straight hours of boring school. I believe homework is unnecessary. Not only does it waste the precious evening but also creates unwanted stress. In addition, the extra work is proven to be unbeneficial by many scientific studies.

Once the first bell of the school year rings it’s like an automatic switch for students. Suddenly , high-schoolers everywhere turn into zombies. Many students are involved in extracurricular activities as well. Soon enough, sports, hobbies , and interests are added into the daily equation. Homework does these activities no justice. Being active is always being preached and promoted yet the opportunity is limited by the amount of homework students receive. It is generally agreed that homework is no new information , it is all repetitive to the time spent in class. This simulates busy work which has no positive purpose. It is almost as if the teacher does not want their class to be forgotten about. While students despise homework, teachers adore it.

One day, school was a drag, and loads of homework was assigned and on top of that I had a project due the next day. What caused and even bigger issue was my soccer game that night. I didn’t get home until around 9:30 and I was exhausted. Now I had a stack of home the size of Mount Kilimanjaro and I project to finish. At 3am all the dreadful assignments had been completed. To kick me when I was down, I had to get up 3 hours later to wake up for school. The following day I was struggling to drag my feet across the ground, being not only physically tired but mentally as well. Homework causes an ongoing snowball effect.

In today’s world being an all around student is expected. Top performance in athletics and top notch grades seem to be a must. Colleges don’t want “the average” student. Going to an accelerated school means good grades are a must, but most students do more than just school, so why do teachers put so much emphasis into homework when we have other things going on? All I know is that I believe homework should not be assigned and should not be part of a students daily life. Students around the world would be better off without the hassle of additional work after the already seven grueling hours of school.