Why College Graduates Shouldn't Study Law | Teen Ink

Why College Graduates Shouldn't Study Law

October 6, 2011
By Emily Sun BRONZE, Taipei, Other
Emily Sun BRONZE, Taipei, Other
4 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Many parents aspire for their children to study and become the most admirable of professions; for example if their child decides to study humanities: become a lawyer. It is often assumed that top earning jobs will guarantee a life full of satisfaction. But do they? As much as potential law students can earn in the future, law school also comes in hefty loans, and hefty paybacks. In recent US News Rankings, statistics show that 93 percent of law graduates get working jobs. The catch is that a law graduate working at a local supermarket stacking shelves is considered to be a “working job” as well. In recent years, job openings in law firms have dropped significantly, yet numerous 22-year olds still believe that law school is the perfect place for them to be. College graduates all believe that they will be able to be the tiny fraction of successful lawyers, and that the student loans will be worth in the future. However, student loans are so easy to get, but so hard to pay back—especially since all law school peers are vying for the limited positions that are offered. Most importantly, many college graduates get out of law school around the same time parenthood comes around the corner. As a result, many realize that they cannot afford to raise their child and pay back student loans at the same time. From what current circumstances present us, disadvantages of law school are outweighing the advantages. Going to law school doesn’t seem like a bright future for 22-year college kids wishing to earn a high-caliber job. Unless the college graduate is driven by a true deep innate passion for law (instead of becoming a lawyer for its perks), I’d say that college students ditch the lawyer dream altogether.