Big Benefits for Starting Small | Teen Ink

Big Benefits for Starting Small

June 2, 2011
By BeccaKoko SILVER, Mason, Michigan
BeccaKoko SILVER, Mason, Michigan
7 articles 1 photo 15 comments

Favorite Quote:
Jesus thinks I'm to die for<3


“Children should start learning a foreign language in kindergarten and continue through high school,” Redmond says. She is the director of foreign language education and associate professor of education at Wake Forest University. “Learning languages helps increase listening ability, memory, creativity and critical thinking - all of which are thinking processes that increase learning in general.” She is stating her views on starting the education of foreign language early. I definitely agree with her, and I have learned through my research that learning a language as early on as kindergarten can have many benefits. These benefits include increasing the chances of graduating and doing well on SAT tests, becoming more fluent in the language, being prepared for the demand in the work force, learning more about the world around them, and becoming a better and well-rounded student.
First of all, neurologists have discovered that a young child’s mind can absorb more information than an older child. Foreign language being introduced at a young age can help a lot with the learning of the language. Students in high school have a hard time grasping a new language, but school children still have certain synapses in their brain to help them comprehend another language. So, not only will your child pick up the language quicker, they will be able to keep learning in middle school and high school, with the basics they’ve already learned.
Also, studies show that students will score higher on tests, like the SAT. Scores especially improved on the verbal portion of the test. It is also proven that there is a higher graduation rate among schools when a second language is taken. So, you do better in school if you are taking a language.

Why is this fact? Foreign language instruction supports math, science, language arts, and social studies; especially in elementary years. Your children will not only do better in future language classes, but in other important subjects as well. Researchers say that learning a language young enriches the learning process and appeals to students various learning styles. And there are many unique ways to teach languages to young children, too. Puppets, storybooks, stuffed animals, games, and other hands-on approaches are common tools.
Learning a second language can prepare your child for the workforce, too. People are now losing their jobs to people from other countries, just because they know English. If Americans could learn different languages, they could have more opportunity in global markets. Your child might even be able to travel to a different country and get an education there and experience the world with a foreign education. With another language handy, Americans could be more competitive in the world by using a different language to get jobs in foreign countries.
Learning a different language can open many doors, even learning about that certain country’s culture. When learning a second language, your child will not only learn about that language, but its culture as well. The teacher will usually incorporate things about the country’s clothing, food, special holidays, music, and more; including hands-on projects like food-tasting, art projects, dance, song singing, and acting out skits. Through these activities, children will become more globally aware. While learning a language, your child will also get a taste for its culture.
Also, many colleges require a certain number years of a foreign language. Starting your child young in a second language could even help prepare them for college. Language instruction in kindergarten provides the basic skills and abilities that a student needs for future classes and requirements. Starting early also helps with their fluency, which helps with their success of the class.
Parents always want the best for their children. They can help with their child’s foreign language education by encouraging the class at their school. They can donate to their school, because usually, when budget cuts come around, the language class is the first to go. I think it is very important to introduce a different language early, because of the benefits. I mean, who can ignore better graduation rates, and SAT scores? Be a good parent, and ensure your child’s future in your local school, and globally.