The Benefits of Music | Teen Ink

The Benefits of Music

April 6, 2011
By party_boy BRONZE, Boulder, Colorado
party_boy BRONZE, Boulder, Colorado
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"blaaa"


What if there was something you could do that makes you smarter, benefits health, reduces stress and helps brain development. Making music does that and more. (It is also a potential career). The no child left behind act states art as a core classes yet it is not being offered to everyone. The benefits of music should be better understood and classes should be added to school programs not cut.

Music education helps kids succeed in school. Almost 100% of the winners of the Siemens Westinghouse competition in math, science and technology (for high school students) play one or more musical instruments (the benefits of music study). Schools with music programs have higher graduation rates than those who don’t: 90.2% compared to72.9 % (why music education). Students in high end music programs score 22% higher in English and 20% higher in math than those in poor programs (Focus on students: study links music making and music education with improved academic performance). Kids in music based lessons got 100% higher on fractions tests. Former president of the Music Educators National Conference said, “Music enhances knowledge in the areas of mathematics, science, geography, history, foreign language, physical education and vocational learning”. More students in music are accepted into college. Students in music score higher on verbal and math SATs than others. Music majors are the most likely group to be accepted into medical school at 66%.

Playing an instrument also reduces stress and increases health. Making music reduces stress at the molecular level. The stress process works so that your brain sends a signal that causes a chain reaction in your cells that turns their “stress switch” on. Playing an instrument reverses this process. This prevents chronic stress caused when the “switch” gets stuck on. Making music increases health. It increases the activity of cancer killing white blood cells. Illness is often caused by stress, so less stress, means less illness.
Involvement in music classes helps brain development. In one study kids took an IQ test. The group was then split. Some were given keyboarding; some singing, some drama and some received no instruction. They then took another IQ test and those who had keyboarding or singing scored much higher on their first test. Those who didn’t have music did not improve. Those involved in music classes process sound better and can stay focused better in classes. They are also able to tune out background noise. As well as using their working memory to better multitask. Learning music makes it easier to learn a new language. They can pick out subtleties better within the language. It also improves speech comprehension (Focus on students: study links music making and music education with improved academic performance).

Understanding the benefits of music is important and classes should be added not cut. Studying music helps kids in math and reading, reduces stress, improves health and increases brain development. So support music the next time you vote or sign up for classes and just think of all the ways it could benefit you and your community.