How Addiction is Beneficial | Teen Ink

How Addiction is Beneficial

May 17, 2010
By allysonholland BRONZE, McDonough, Georgia
allysonholland BRONZE, McDonough, Georgia
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Every morning, every afternoon, and every night, a soft drink appears within my reach. I can only imagine what life would be like without this wonderfully delicious, bubbly creation. My day simply would not be complete if soft drinks were not easily accessible in my school, and I definitely would not be able to think clearly and concentrate on my work. Now I know there are those who disagree with me and would counter that soft drinks are “lethal” to my health, but they haven’t seen me in the morning without my proper fuel. Schools should cater to students who need that extra push in the morning and sign on the dotted line, negotiating with that one soft drink company who is willing to help out students, like me, who have come to rely on having a soda nearby.

Opposers might state that education already receives a fair amount of money in order to complete the necessary tasks, but, with the revenue from vending machines, schools could exceed these standards. The money made could be used to purchase education materials, awards, and assist with the reduction of furlough days for teachers. According to the National Soft Drink Association, there is a drastic increase of soft drink production in the United States, and schools could really benefit from allowing companies to sell their products on campus. Not only would schools profit from this agreement, the economy would as well. More purchases within the market would increase supply and demand, and, in turn, boost the society.

As a person with an admitted “addiction” to soft drinks, I have come to realize that these products are the main reason I remain awake throughout the school day. Studies have shown that caffeine from soft drinks stimulates the brain and helps with concentration. Many school administrators in Colorado have discovered this secret and “encourage students to drink sodas, even in the classrooms”. The so-called “secret” could unleash schools to perform at their highest capacity due to increasing test scores, participation in the classroom, and higher level thinking.

Soft drinks are not the only problem that is affecting the obesity epidemic. Pediatricians of the Ohio Chapter of the American Academy of Pediatrics warn that high blood pressure, high cholesterol, insulin-resistant diabetes, and coronary plaque formation form from a variety of food selections that are extreme in calories and meager in quality. Soft drinks are only a minor part of the ridiculous amount of sugars and fats that children consume on a daily basis. Vending machines sells would neither help nor hurt this societal issue because the children with this problem would bring a drink from other places and not just rely on schools to provide them. Kristin Powers of the Grocery Manufacturers of America points out that “targeting one product will not solve the multi-faceted issue of childhood obesity”.

More money for schools, higher student performance, and the experts who say that soft drinks are not the main cause of a series of health problems are all reasons that support my position to allow soft drinks in schools. Who’s to say that tator tots, square pizza, or various fried vegetables in weird shapes shouldn’t be the ones banned from schools? Why pick on the lowly soft drink in my favorite blue can?

The author's comments:
This argumentative essay is in response to the question: Should schools sign contracts with soft drink companys?