Dress Code | Teen Ink

Dress Code

By HarryPotterFan09 SILVER, China, Maine
HarryPotterFan09 SILVER, China, Maine

Harry Potter: "This is night, Diddykins. That's what we call it when it goes all dark like this."

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world.-Unknown

Laundry is the only thing that should be sorted by color.-Unknown

As a girl, I think the dress code is pretty fair. I really don't believe we want to wear short shorts and mini skirts and spaghetti straps, I think we just want to just look impressive. I think it's perfectly fine for us to wear t-shirts and jeans, because we don't need to wear holey jeans and low shirts. It's not much of a problem for guys, they don't barely even care what they wear. But on the other hand, girls care much more about their appearance. I think the dress code is a bit unfair to high schoolers, because they are able to wear more of what they want in their older age, but in middle school, I think it's fine. I mean, we don't want all the little 10 and 11 year old kids looking up to 13 year olds with skimpy clothing, it's just a bad role model for them. But I kind of don't understand what the whole spaghetti strap thing is about.

I definitely think schools need dress codes. We don't need inappropriate teenagers who barely wear anything, because we need healthy role models for the kids to come. Still, I don't think the boys have as much of a problem. Most of the issues are with girls wanting to wear show-off shirts and skirts which barely have any coverage, but it seems like that's how it gets. I think the guidelines for girls are good, not too overpowering, but not too much freedom.

I'm sure some people want no dress code at all. And that's fine. But I don't think the teachers and staff want to see things like that in the halls. I can understand that they think they can wear whatever they want, and get away with it. I know what it's like going to stores and seeing some short dress that a model was wearing, or your favorite celebrity was wearing, and it's a miniskirt or a spaghetti strap tank top, but they really don't have to set themselves as a person who disrespects their body. I really don't like that we look up to celebrities, and most of them are wearing low shirts and boots and shorts, and it makes us want to wear that, too. But yes, I do know where they're coming from. And I know that we all want to look good, but that doesn't mean we should wear skimpy clothing, just because Miley Cyrus or Beyonce did.

All in all, I really don't think the dress codes are that unfair. I think they're fair enough, and we just ned to get used to them. When we grow up, and are still wearing those clothes, other adults won't respect us for that, and I think school dress codes are what we need so we will be respected.

on Nov. 10 2013 at 6:43 pm
Joycal12 BRONZE, Fort Worth, Texas

I might not be the girl everyone wants but at least I'm not the one everyone's had

I mean that's true and well also they need to be able to show thier creativity