Chewing gum | Teen Ink

Chewing gum

“ Abby....” said the teacher

“ Yes..”

“ What are you eating?”

“ Gum...”

“Go spit it out.”

“Oh My Gosh ... Fine”

“Don’t do it again, it’s disruptive.”

Is that what happens to you? Well I know this happens to me, and I am sick of it. It is time we make a protest.

Do you get bored in class, or you can’t concentrate during the big science exam? Well research has shown that chewing gum in school can improve concentration and proves that paying attention is easier. It can also help relieve stress, such as taking tests, and getting projects, and homework in on time. Along with the social and emotional problems, that comes with everyday life.

Some of the health benefits of chewing gum are that it freshens breath, but better yet it increases saliva, which helps defend your teeth against plaque and other dental disease. Such as cavities, which would help families out because with no cavities comes less dentist visits which saves the family money. Also less time and pain spent on filling cavities. I don’t know about you but I would like to live a cavity free life.

Another big reason is that chewing gum is cheap, low in calories, and fits in your pocket for easy management. At about 10 calories per piece, it is a good way to keep children from snacking and may help the rate of obesity in kids decrease.

Now don’t get me wrong. Students sometimes do not dispose of their gum correctly. However the reason that kids don’t throw out their gum and stick it under the tables instead is that they are afraid of teachers finding it and them getting themselves in trouble, or having to go spit it out an be embarrassed because they got caught, but if students could chew gum and not have to hide it then they would probably dispose of it properly.

Some teachers and schools have taken this info into account and allowed their students to chew gum. They encouraged them to chew it during class to improve concentration on tests, and according to their school board; scores have improved.

Wrigley's gum has been acting on a study about kids concentrating and getting better grades when chewing gum. This is what they did... First of all students were divided in two groups. One group was allowed to chew gum during class and homework times. The other group was not allowed to have gum at all.

After the study was over, they discovered a 3 percent increase in the children's math tests. I know that does not seem like a lot, but it is an increase. Overall students who chewed gum had a better final grade, than the kids that didn’t chew gum.

So, I believe that student’s should have the right to chew gum during class. There are definitely more positive outcomes than negative.

I wanted to make a statement

zzakiya said...
on Feb. 5 2010 at 7:33 am
i love how yo made all your points clearly...hink that kids like me should have gum in school...because if u got the drag then pop a piece of gum in your nouth and your breath is fresh...but i think of ppl who cant affored gum they'll be kinda mad that thy dnt have any