Scouting For Music Stidents | Teen Ink

Scouting For Music Stidents

January 11, 2010
By JennaP GOLD, Sussex, Wisconsin
JennaP GOLD, Sussex, Wisconsin
17 articles 0 photos 0 comments

If you’re a music student (theatre, band, orchestra), have you ever wondered why the people in sports have an easier time finding schools to commit to, or finding scholarship opportunities? Well that’s because they have scouts.
Scouts go out to meets, games, and tournaments representing colleges or universities. They pick out talents to ask them to go to their school. They offer scholarships. Sometimes if you’re there are conditions, in soccer, the condition may be that you have to play soccer all four years. If you’re a swimmer, you may have to swim for the entire time you are attending the college.
Music students, have you ever had someone come up to you at a state competition and say, “Hey, I noticed that you are really talented. Maybe we can discuss you attending our school.” No. I have never heard of colleges looking for good music students to attend their schools. Not even the big fine arts schools. Berklee in Boston is desperate for cellists, but I have not heard about them sending scouts out to find some cellists out of the area. I play the cello and I would have loved to have a music scout from Berklee call me up and say that they saw that I received an Exemplary Award at the State Solo and Ensemble competition and would like to meet up to see if I was considering their school because they are looking for cello players.
How hard would it be for scouts from music departments or conservatories to go around and sit in on musicals, orchestra concerts, or go listen to some solos at State? They could hand pick their entire music department, but they don’t. I don’t know why they can’t put in a little effort when we put in a lot just to find the right school.
I think it’s unfair that students who are in sports have an easier time knowing which school is appropriate to go to for their specific activity. Don’t get me wrong, I have nothing against sports, I’ve played them all my life, but I wish it was easy for musicians to find the perfect school for themselves as well.