Academic Integrity | Teen Ink

Academic Integrity

August 22, 2009
By Shaunyboy94 GOLD, Novato, California
Shaunyboy94 GOLD, Novato, California
13 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Life is like an onion: You peel it off one layer at a time, and sometimes you weep."--Carl Sandburg

"If you can laugh at yourself loud and hard every time you fall, people will think you're drunk."--Conan O' Brien


To me, academic integrity refers to the concept and process of learning and advancing ones education. This means a person sets goals to do well in school and in higher education. At the beginning of the school year, each student has standards that they hope to achieve over the course of a semester; whether if it is participating in class or getting an A, everyone has the chance to do well. Having academic integrity shows the willingness to take the time to work on something and do their best. Richard Fuller once said, “Integrity is the essence of everything successful.” I could not agree more, because to gain success, one must earn it. In high school although we tend to measure success by grades, it is really how much we learn or understand from our teachers that is most important. Our teachers act as mentors and we should take advantage of what they have to offer. Grades are important, but learning is the greatest gift of all. Though we may struggle at times in learning new things, we must not give up. Summarized by Bill Gates, “Life is not fair, get over it.”

As for academic integrity in Honors Chemistry, there may be times where I will struggle on new topics, but this should just motivate me to work harder. I know this class won’t be easy, but it will mean much more to me when I do well. Academic integrity means no cheating. If I don’t know something or I need help, I will ask my teacher. I would rather get a grade of “C” but I learned something, than a grade of “A” by cheating and not understanding the subject. It’s like that old saying, “Cheaters never win.” Besides this, having academic integrity will make my goals and accomplishments more rewarding. With the ability to learn and having the “never give up” attitude, I will always do my best. Also, if I know more about a subject in Chemistry than another student, I will try to help him or her as much as possible. In conclusion, having academic integrity as I go through my school years will make me a better and ethical person. Academic integrity can not only relate to school, but also life. No matter how many times we fail, we get back up. That’s what makes the person.

“Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising every time we fail.”
Ralph Waldo Emerson