The Homework Revolution This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

A young girl sits at her desk, reviewing her homework assignments for the evening. English: read three chapters and write a journal response. Math: complete 30 problems, showing all work. Science: do a worksheet, front and back. French: study vocabulary for tomorrow's test. It's going to be a long night.

This describes a typical weeknight for students across the country. Now is the time to start a homework revolution.

Do students in the United States receive too much homework? According to guidelines endorsed by the National Education Association (NEA), a student should be assigned no more than 10 minutes per grade level per night. For example, a first grader should only have 10 minutes of homework, a second grader, 20 minutes, and so on. This means that a student in my grade – seventh – should have no more than 70 minutes of work each night. Yet this is often doubled, sometimes even tripled!

There are negatives to overloading students. Have you ever heard of a child getting sick because of homework? According to William Crain, Ph.D., a professor of psychology at City College of New York and the author of Reclaiming Childhood, “Kids are developing more school-related stomachaches, headaches, sleep problems, and depression than ever before.” The average student is glued to his or her desk for almost seven hours a day. Add two to four hours of homework each night, and they are working a 45- to 55-hour week!

In addition, a student who receives excessive homework “will miss out on active playtime, essential for learning social skills, proper brain development, and warding off childhood obesity,” according to Harris Cooper, Ph.D., a professor of psychology and neuroscience at Duke University.

Everybody knows that teachers are the ones who assign homework, but they do not deserve all the blame. “Many teachers are under greater pressure than ever before,” says Kylene Beers, president of the National Council for Teachers of English and the author of When Kids Can't Read What Teachers Can Do. “Some of it comes from parents, some from the administration and the desire for high scores on standardized tests.” Teachers who are under pressure feel the need to assign more homework. But why aren't teachers aware of the NEA homework recommendations? Many have never heard of them, have never taken a course about good versus bad homework, how much to give, and the research behind it. And many colleges of education do not offer specific training in homework. Teachers are just winging it.

Although some teachers and parents believe that assigning a lot of homework is beneficial, a Duke University review of a number of studies found almost no correlation between homework and long-term achievements in elementary school and only a moderate correlation in middle school. “More is not better,” concluded Cooper, who conducted the review.

Is homework really necessary? Most teachers assign homework as a drill to improve memorization of material. While drills and repetitive exercises have their place in schools, homework may not be that place. If a student does a math worksheet with 50 problems but completes them incorrectly, he will likely fail the test. According to the U.S. Department of Education, most math teachers can tell after checking five algebraic equations whether a student understood the necessary concepts. Practicing dozens of homework problems incorrectly only cements the wrong method.

Some teachers believe that assigning more homework will help improve standardized test scores. However, in countries like the Czech Republic, Japan, and Denmark, which have higher-scoring students, teachers give little homework. The United States is among the most homework-intensive countries in the world for seventh and eighth grade, so more homework clearly does not mean a higher test score.

Some people argue that homework toughens kids up for high school, college, and the workforce. Too much homework is sapping students' strength, curiosity, and most importantly, their love of learning. Is that really what teachers and parents want?

If schools assign less homework, it would benefit teachers, parents, and students alike. Teachers who assign large amounts of homework are often unable to do more than spot-check answers. This means that many errors are missed. Teachers who assign less homework will be able to check it thoroughly. In addition, it allows a teacher time to focus on more important things. “I had more time for planning when I wasn't grading thousands of problems a night,” says math teacher Joel Wazac at a middle school in Missouri. “And when a student didn't understand something, instead of a parent trying to puzzle it out, I was there to help them.” The result of assigning fewer math problems: grades went up and the school's standardized math scores are the highest they've ever been. A student who is assigned less homework will live a healthy and happy life. The family can look forward to stress-free, carefree nights and, finally, the teachers can too.

Some schools are already taking steps to improve the issue. For example, Mason-Rice Elementary School in Newton, Massachusetts, has limited homework, keeping to the “10 minute rule.” Raymond Park Middle School in Indianapolis has written a policy instructing teachers to “assign homework only when you feel the assignment is valuable.” The policy also states, “A night off is better than homework which serves no worthwhile purpose.” Others, such as Oak Knoll Elementary School in Menlo Park, California, have considered eliminating homework altogether. If these schools can do it, why can't everyone?

So, my fellow Americans, it's time to stop the insanity. It's time to start a homework revolution.

Minotour5 said...
Nov. 9, 2009 at 11:42 am:
I will join this revolution and help you spread the word, Us kids get to much homework! We need more play time!

SpaceKing800 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Nov. 9, 2009 at 8:31 pm :
That would be nice.

doglover95 said...
Nov. 9, 2009 at 11:15 am:
WE NEED TO DO IT! allot of us kids are having a hard time in class cause of allot of homework and i stay up till midnight doing homework! i agree HOMEWORK REVOLUTION!!!!!

dajuan replied...
Nov. 9, 2009 at 11:35 am :
I think that we should still have homework
but only on a computer and its a weeks worth of homework. They should give
us 2 weeks to get it done. Then we can still
have homework and be active.

Minotour5 replied...
Nov. 9, 2009 at 11:43 am :
I think we need only 1 homework a day and thats it I don't like homework

CaseyLeigh This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I love this piece. :]

Letters345 replied...
Nov. 9, 2009 at 12:38 pm :
Ya, but what did u get out of it?

Nov. 9, 2009 at 4:07 pm :
It's kind of funny though. It wasn't my intention to ban homework, only to recieve less of it. But, no homework can work,too. ^^

Nora:D replied...
Nov. 9, 2009 at 4:16 pm :
Candy: I`d have to agree with this article. The ten minute rule is there for a reason; to not strain kids. Yes, being smart is good, but where will you get with that if you don`t have friend-time to practice those socializing skills that all of us will need later on in our lives? We need them to give speeches, express our opinions, and even have a chance to leave a mark on the world community.

Nora:D replied...
Nov. 9, 2009 at 4:18 pm :
Haha, oops! That went down there. :]

Nov. 9, 2009 at 4:27 pm :
In this age, being smart has become such a competition! Isn't it the gifts that our fellow peers and future children can give to the world more important? One fire fighter might not be the smartest one in the bunch, yet he or she save lives everyday. It's become an obsession. Thanks, Nora. I really appreciate your feedback. Tell your friends!

Nora:D replied...
Nov. 9, 2009 at 4:36 pm :
I`d be glad to. :D

Nora:D replied...
Nov. 9, 2009 at 4:41 pm :
Oh, SpaceKing800, after that website is finished, can you send it to me? Thanks! :)

doglover95 replied...
Nov. 9, 2009 at 4:44 pm :
being 14 and having allot of homework and no time for relationships or anything i do in with u guys!

Nov. 9, 2009 at 4:48 pm :
Nora: Sure! Thanks, for agreeing. Maybe we can finally start something. Ah, wouldn't that be great?

Urbs2013 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Nov. 10, 2009 at 8:28 am :
If you need any fliers or something like that, post it on here, I will see what i can do. I think that the same idea should apply to testing, no more than two tests a week.

Nov. 10, 2009 at 3:08 pm :
I just might need your help.

Nov. 10, 2009 at 3:13 pm :
Oh, and thanks for favoriting my work!

Nov. 11, 2009 at 8:27 pm :
i can do the flyers in a day or two, just let me know in advance

Nov. 11, 2009 at 9:06 pm :
O.K. I'll let you know, once needed.

Candy said...
I don't think low test ranks in the US have to do with homework. It has to do with lazy students who avoid studying and education in contrast to playing video games for 10 hours straight. Okay, so Japanese students get little homework. Only because they go to school 6 days a week. 6 days = more studying. So again, my point is, if more students spent as much time on studying and education as they did texting their friends or uploading pics on myspace, then the US rank would increase TREMENDOUSLY.