Scenes Emos and Goths...There's a difference!

As much as I hate to be stereotyped by others, I am stereotyped as your weird, out of place Scene chic. I like the odd things in life, I’m uber immature, uber loud, I’m random, outgoing, hardly ever serious, and of course, I’m head over heals in love with screamo{which is a type of music if you didn’t know}and rainbows. I usually wear black, gray, or white (mainly black), skinny jeans and have my hair in my face. I know who I am and I don’t want to admit it, but I am actually the definition of “average Scene”.

When I walk down the hallway or even when I’m not in school, people randomly walk up to me and ask: “Hey are you Goth?” or someone might say: “Go cry Emo kid!” and I find that so freaking irritating! I’m not Goth and I’m not Emo! Anyways, I thought I should take the time to explain the difference between the three.

I think we should start with my stereotype- Scene. “Scene kids” are uber childish a lot of the time. We like little kid things. For instance, I absolutely love playing on the playground at the park, Winnie the Pooh, Hello Kitty, and finger painting. Another thing I like to do that throws me in the classification as Scene is my odd love of Rainbows. I also love to listen to music, mainly any type of rock (screamo being my fave), that is not really known. Scene kids, especially me, are loud and never really take life seriously. There are many other things that make me a Scene kid but by now, well I’m sure you get the idea.

Next I’ll explain the stereotype Emo. Well first of all, I should make this clear; all Emo kids do NOT cut them selves! That’s just a myth. Don’t believe that. People who cut them selves are called cutters. Back to the main subject, Emos. Emo is believed by some people to be short for emotional, which I’m not a hundred percent sure about. It was originally just a style of music. Emo is pretty much punk with emotion. It’s all about showing people your inner self. Usually, Emo kids are depressed but not always. They have other emotions too. This stereotype is confused with scene because of the style of clothes and the music we listen to is pretty similar. Though, Emo kids also listen to Indie music which isn’t uber popular amongst us Scene kids who prefer more hardcore music.

Lastly is the Goth stereotype. This one is a bit of a tuffy considering I’ve never actually socialized with one before. Goths are usually very dark people who wear all black 24/7. Oh yeah, Goths do not worship the devil. None of the stereotypes I’m describing does. People who worship the devil are called Satanist. Anyway, people in the Goth stereotype only tend to socialize with other Goths. They feel comfortable being around people like them. Goths, of course, usually listen to classic gothic rock or new gothic rock, metal (all kinds), industrial, classical, techno, punk, rock etc. It really depends on the person actually. Marilyn Manson is a popular artist in this stereotype (though I love his music as well). They wear black pretty much all the time, but, on some occasions, will where other dark colors.

By now I’m sure you really understand the difference between these three stereotypes. It’s a shock how many differences there are between each one. There are pretty much only two similarities between all groups: one is the way we dress, two being the music we like. Though, both Emo and Goth are similar in that they are shunned by society. I hope you really get what the message this paper is sending. One more thing, don’t become a poser after you’ve read this. If you don’t know what a poser is (but I’m sure you do) it’s a person who tries to fit in with a stereotype. No one likes posers.

DatEmo101 said...
Feb. 15 at 7:00 pm
Emo, yes it does stand for emotional. We express our emotion through music, art, etc. EMO KIDS DO NOT CUT. In fact I strongly disagree with cutting. Were quite annoying, weird, and dark, it's hard to understand unless your emo. And it's NOT A PHASE.

Emo Headache said...
Hey kiddo's- im Emo Headache (named after that sugary headache you get from listening to too much pop punk at a time), and i do speedcore relicks of emo songs... Google Emo Headache to find my indie albums on Legs Akimbo (uk) Slime City (uk) and ENDE (aus)... I like what the author said about being shunned, and YES- i DO cut myself... But im an american whose experimental noise is big overseas but gets zero cred in the us lamestream culture! Dont worry- there are tons of us in europe.... (more »)

Ruvelica-Rose-Kurochi said...
How am I supposed to tell which one I am? If I base it on what you said then I am a mix of all three.... I just don't know. I love to wear black. I love bands like Get Scared, My Chemical Romance, Jimmy Eat World, things like that. I love dark things, cute things, childish things, teenage things,black roses, broken hearts, anime.. Yeah...Things like that. I am told I have many personalities. OH!! I don't like being around people. I am shy and sarcastic. I also may be a little sadistic. What am I... (more »)

descriptive kitty replied...
Hey there friend Im a scene girl mixed with emo I am both and proud Your just need find what you like more I would describe you the same as me

descriptive kitty replied...

Emo/Scene Tenn Here replied...
May 13 at 9:45 pm
Hey... I'm an emo/scene. I know the difference in goth, emo, emo/scene and scene. Here is the difference between them. Emo-wears some black clothing, black eyeshadow, natural black hair or dyed(any color really). Wears chokers (some do). Scene-hair could be natural or dyed makeup could be anything but bright colors, clothes neon colors or some black clothing or band shirts Scene/Emo- is a mix between Scene and Emo Gothic/Goth-wears all black, makeup is black;eyeshadow,lipstick etc. hair ... (more »)

Ilovemysherlockboy said...
Yes, but I'm like all three. I like things that are kinda childish like my teddys, I wear black 24/7 and like goth music. But I have depression and I would class myself as emo due to the fact I'm not as unsociable as goths in the terms that I only socialise with other kids who like my style and music. However I have a crush on a goth boy and I've taken after him.... So am I emo or goth u don't know

Sandeep said...
Apr. 5, 2016 at 1:29 am
Hi Karan, I did not get my education in this country but am bringing my kids up here. Both, my wife and I, have engineering degrees from India but these are not the colleges that ranked in the top 100 when we did our degrees. In this country our degree mattered, not the college but back in India both did. I see that trend here when a student goes to college here. Weird that they look at it differently but that is not the point of discussion here. One observation: a college degree does not necess... (more »)

Hellhoundprincess13 said...
Im goth and people call me a wannabe vampire or emo, i hate it when they do that yeah i like vampires but i dont want to be one of them! yeah i avoid sunlight but thats because i get headaches from it, yeah i haveunussually pale skin but i was born this way! it is time fora stand thats what i think!

Lovebug303 replied...
Oct. 23, 2015 at 9:12 am
Thank you c: I'm glad you like it.

Ollie replied...
Oct. 23, 2015 at 9:52 am
Sad story, beautifully written.

Hellhoundprincess13 said...
my parents think I'm emo and don't know the difference

reading-writing said...
You people in the comments need to learn how to spell

hiddenbunny said...
I gree with what you said. I'm describe a little in each of these, and i hate when poeple say that if you are one of them you are all of them cause your not. I really dislike when people say that its just a phase that they are going through, a phase is like when you pick your nose, its something you stop after a while. Or when they say they will grow out of it. Is it a pair of jeans to them? To me this is how I am, and when people say things like this its like they are saying to stop being you, ... (more »)

RavenLisaStorm said...
Mar. 17, 2015 at 6:30 am
i agree very much i am a goth myself and there is a kid in my school who keeps saying along with others that goths and emos are the same thing it honestly does my head in they also make fun of people who actually cut themselves very good paragraph, respects to you im always stereo typed myself goth emo or not it doesnt matter i just dont liuke them who try to fit in with the stereo types and pose it goths dont always where dark colours either they mostly wear red purple electric blue, sometimes ... (more »)

hiddenbunny replied...
They have no right to make fun of people who cut. I cut ever now and then, and the person I like cuts and they are the sweetest person I know. It hurts when people make fun of them with out knowing the reason why they do it.

RavenLisaStorm replied...
Apr. 28, 2015 at 8:28 am
yeah I know :-/ I used to do it myself and even if my arm gets scratched by someone else like my brother if they become angry with me it immediately triggers me so flipping hard to get it away too I mean yeah its like an addiction after one point. you have thoughts and feelings that make u do it and there's feelings people get out of it. its weird to say this but other than you wanna stop but almost cant help it if you do stop and the scars fade it makes u feel awkwardly lost without them >

RavenLisaStorm replied...
Apr. 28, 2015 at 8:30 am
yeah I know :-/ I used to do it myself and even if my arm gets scratched by someone else like my brother if they become angry with me it immediately triggers me so flipping hard to get it away too I mean yeah its like an addiction after one point. you have thoughts and feelings that make u do it and there's feelings people get out of it. its weird to say this but other than you wanna stop but almost cant help it if you do stop and the scars fade it makes u feel awkwardly lost without them >< I ... (more »)

RavenLisaStorm replied...
Apr. 28, 2015 at 8:39 am
(didn't mean to post that twice)

hiddenbunny replied...
its OK. lol. I don't remember why I started, but I know that I thought that this was the best way to deal with it so I wouldn't have to talk to people. for a while no one noticed. One day a "friend" noticed, but she believed the lie I told her. I recently moved though and found some one who notice sorta quick. Turns out he knew the signs because he also did. now we are helping each other try to stop. It's a slow program, but for now it's working. If I do anything then he does to and vice versa. ... (more »)