Are Homework and Activities Lessening Student's Sleep and Productivity? | Teen Ink

Are Homework and Activities Lessening Student's Sleep and Productivity?

May 24, 2019
By 27mb27 SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
27mb27 SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
6 articles 1 photo 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Learn from yesterday, Live for today, Hope for tomorrow


We’ve all had long, exhausting nights studying for finals. The stress of trying to get information to stay in your head and to be able to know it for the test is awful. In my opinion, high schoolers are worked too hard and too much is expected of them. I believe that lack of sleep and pressure from peers can make school more difficult. I hope that by writing this essay, students will realize what they need to do to improve their “student lives.”

First, sleep. We all need to sleep! Some people think that they are “invincible” and that they don’t need sleep. That is false! Sleep is not only used for the development of the body, but also for growth. After a long day at school and practice, going to bed and getting a good nights rest helps the body recharge and build up more strength. Pulling an all-nighter the night before a test to study is doing nothing but harming you. Students stay up late on school nights doing homework and studying. When they get to school the next day, they are exhausted and can’t focus which lowers their grades. Based on articles from Healthline.com and medical news today, lack of sleep can weaken the immune system which makes it easier to get sick. If the lack of sleep lasts a long time, it is also possible to get chronic diseases like heart disease and diabetes. If students had less pressure on them to do activities and if they didn’t have so much homework, they would get more sleep.

Pressure from peers like family and friends can be seen in a good way and a bad way. Too much pressure can cause large amounts of stress and increase anxiety. There is such a thing as too many activities! When students are overworked, they fall behind and get stressed. If students were limited on how many activities they can do and how much homework they get, the stress levels would be lowered tremendously.

Based on the information gained from The New York Times, Heathline.com and Medical News Today, I have realized that sleep and pressure from peers, really affect student’s lives and makes school difficult for them. As The New York Times says, “Life is Lousy When You’re Drowsy.”


The author's comments:

As a high school student, I completely understand being exhausted! I believe that students being in too many activities and having too much homework is making the student life VERY difficult.