Disconnected by Social Media? | Teen Ink

Disconnected by Social Media?

By C.S.Dogood GOLD, San Juan Capistrano, California
C.S.Dogood GOLD, San Juan Capistrano, California

“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? Your playing small does not serve the world. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same.”

Social media, on a surface level, seems to increase connectivity between people, bridging the gaps of geographical distance, social class, or political party. But is this really the case? Do social media platforms really increase diversified connectivity? On Instagram, when you like a picture, you are classified into a category. The type of picture you like is put into an algorithm that determines what pictures show up on your feed next time you refresh the app. If you like a picture in favor of a certain political candidate, your account will probably receive photos with that same point of view as a result of this algorithm. If this continues, resulting in more frequent appearance of that opinion on your feed, you are blocked, immediately pitted against the opposing opinion. All the pictures on that feed show the certain opinion, whatever it may be, and it ends up convincing you of that specific opinion. But how can one be open to numerous opinions if such specific opinions are continuously forced upon them? Although social media can bridge people together in so many positive ways whether it be discussing an issue or staying in touch with those who live far away from you, it places you in countless categories, blinding you from other opinions. As important as it is to stay connected in the world around you, we must have the ability to step back and take in the broader picture and absorb the many different points of view an opinion can come from.