Drones Are Not What They Seem | Teen Ink

Drones Are Not What They Seem

January 16, 2017
By amm22 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
amm22 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Drones are used in many ways, they come in many different forms, but the issue of whether or not we should use drones in our daily lives is a hotly debated topic to discuss.  Recreational drones may seem fun, simple even, and are a cheap gift for anyone to buy on any occasion.  Although from some points of view this may seem true, others argue that military used drones and recreational drones are dangerous to citizens of the U.S, as well as citizens of other countries.  This paper will argue that drones cause danger and chaos among people, and should not be used in any way.


Drones come in various selections.  They can be used in many ways, but the real question of drone usage is ‘Are drones actually safe?’ Many look past the quality of the drone, which would not ensure safety for the owner as well as other people.  In the Newsela article ‘Not your dad’s remote control airplane: Toy drones upsetting aviation world,’ there are many instances where drones prove not to be safe.  “Critics say, however, that they (recreational drones) usually lack the navigation and communication systems needed to ensure safe flying,” (page 2).  You can see that toy drones are putting people in danger because of poor flying quality.  Drones can also be dangerous to other people in different countries. Fortunately, the use of drone strikes on other countries has been decreased, but according to the Newsela article ‘Obama to restrict targeted Drone Strikes’ drones have caused damage. “..the White House said that drone strikes have killed 4 U.S citizens,” (page 2).  This shows that drones used against other countries are turning on our own people. Are drones really worth that?


Your average recreational drone can seem simple, and give you lots of fun. But what you do not know is how your flying can affect others in the place you live in. In the Newsela article ‘Not your dad’s remote control airplane: Toy drones upsetting aviation world,’ there are many close calls in which drones become dangerous. “A report released in December identified 327 ‘close encounters’ between drones and manned aircraft over a 21 month period that ended last September,” (page 2). Close encounters with drones cannot be tolerated if it puts our lives in danger. Uncareful recreational drone flying doesn’t just affect pilots and passengers on aircrafts, it also affects emergency responders. “Drones flying above a dozen wildfires last summer in California forced authorities to pull back firefighting planes in some cases to avoid midair collisions,” (page 3). This shows that planes are getting in the way of people and places that are in need of help. Drones seem simple, little, and easy to fly, but they can affect other people powerfully.


Like anything else in our world, a drone could easily fall into the wrong hands. That’s the problem: A drone so cheap and easy to buy will fall into the wrong hands. Drones can be used in many ways that put other people at risk, or in bad situations. In the Newsela article ‘Drones can be fun, drones can be popular, but drones can also be dangerous,’ “It’ll be easy enough to peek into your neighbor’s backyard anytime you want to, even if they have a very high fence,” (page 3). Drones are invading privacy, which means that they’ve gotten into the wrong hands. Drones could also be used by an inexperienced flyer, like someone who does not know what they are doing. “It (recreational drone) climbed more than 700 ft, right into the path of a California highway patrol helicopter,” (page 2 of Newsela article Not your Dad’s remote control airplane: Toy drones upsetting aviation world). Drones need to be used carefully- there’s no telling what will happen next if they aren’t.


It’s true, that drones help people in some ways too. They make work easier, especially for people with jobs like farming. Drones can fly over crops and check on plants, making hours of work go by in a few minutes. Drones appeal to people; they are a new, fascinating technology that makes our everyday lives easier. “Now the data appears on your Ipad or handheld device a few minutes after flight,” (page 2, Newsela article titled, For many farmers, use of unmanned flying vehicles is taking off). Another job that drones are helping with is helping catch illegal rhino hunters by remote control. You see, in Africa many rhinos are being poached for their horns, and they are about to be poached to extinction. Drones are flying into remote areas where poachers kill, and they are catching these hunters so we can arrest them. Even though drones have their good side, there are still many factors that make them dangerous. Anybody could buy a drone, and a drone in the wrong hands can cause chaos and danger.


The complex issue of drones is an argument anyone could consider. Of course, drones can help our everyday lives easier by performing simple tasks, but we should question the safety of using drones before we question what the drones could do for us. Drones can be dangerous to people in the U.S and other countries, they can cause chaos in cities, and they make us question if drones are really worth putting ourselves and other people at risk. Drones are not needed in our everyday lives. Simple tasks that humans can do themselves do not need to be done by drones, and we can start boycotting drones by doing these simple chores ourselves.