A World Without the Cloud | Teen Ink

A World Without the Cloud

November 4, 2016
By ELZEYC103 BRONZE, EAST NEW MARKET, Maryland
ELZEYC103 BRONZE, EAST NEW MARKET, Maryland
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The term “Internet” is defined as a large network of interlinking command centers that provides communication over an indefinite amount of locations. Communication in this way is described as a representation of juxtaposition, residing everywhere and nowhere at once. And despite its now everlasting existence in this world, it reveals the simplicity of life before this technological day and age. The internet was created for the intended use of defense in this country during the nineteen-seventies; therefore, it is safe to say that it was never truly meant for the public. Its power gets larger and larger as children and adults alike rely on its ‘knowledge.’


The world would be offered, in the most part, peace if not for the introduction of the internet. The United States for instance stands in a not-so-silent war with the Middle East. The political standards in the United States are based on the whereabouts of internet-based information and the power it and social media have on the culture; or in this case the lack thereof. Everyone is threatened by this cloud of information that should have been shredded so long ago - information that is now permanently engrained into the system that almost everyone uses.


The simplicity of a world without the internet would offer children the ability to understand the times of their parents and grandparents, even if only to show ‘grit’ that is not seen as much in this generation. There would be no grand scheme when it came to communication. The black market, run online through social media and private sites, would diminish. The only information released would be on site, which would almost ensure lower statistics in terms of illegal substances that may and may not be tracked. Human trafficking would be based purely on face-to-face interaction; therefor coming across such deals would be hard to ignore. Books would be a more common occurrence, opposed to the vulgar words that now qualify as reading. The world would be safer. There would be less conflict – less interaction that causes such conflicts. Fewer chances of the ozone layer lessening further, or the icebergs melting from human contraptions and ideals that have built up so dangerously over the years.
If we as people were to have changed this course of interaction, perhaps we wouldn’t live on a planet that is expiring as quickly as ours is. Though the taking away of technology may have a large effect on ‘familiarity,’ it would certainly do the world good.