I'm Confused | Teen Ink

I'm Confused

By Cameron Nelson GOLD, Sugarland, Texas
Cameron Nelson GOLD, Sugarland, Texas

I am very confused.  Why do we do the things we seem to do?  Why do we continue to build our societies if we just tear them down?  This has shown in our history from the moment man spilled its first blood, to ISIS decapitating the innocent in the Middle East today.  Does humanity have the born instinct for destruction and chaos, or do we learn it from past examples?  If we were born to eradicate entire generations of people, if we were born to decimate whole countries, if we were born to slaughter, then how are we still allowed to live?  It is mind boggling how we haven’t bombed each other into extinction because of the sickening joy of seeing the destruction of civilizations.  The people of today will most likely disagree with this statement, but they have to look at the facts.  They have to look at the holocaust, the Rwandan Genocide, the French Revolution, they even have to look at their own cities.  We don’t even have to go to war to have an excuse to kill each other.  People can have full on killing sprees right here at home.  I shouldn’t even say that I’m confused, I should say that I am disgusted, and absolutely frightened about what the future will be like.