Why Captain America: Civil War Is so Important | Teen Ink

Why Captain America: Civil War Is so Important

By LegendKeeper DIAMOND, Unadilla, New York
LegendKeeper DIAMOND, Unadilla, New York

"What is impossible with man is possible with God." Luke 18:27

We all have choices to make. There isn't one day that goes by without us making a choice of some sort. But some choices are heavier than others.

This is the question: With everything happening in the world today, how are we to live? Who are we to follow?

And that is where Captain America comes into play.

For those of you who don't know (yet), Captain America is one of the oldest superheroes produced by Marvel Comics, coming into being shortly after WWII. The original plotline had him striving against the Axis powers, whether they be spies or Adolf Hitler himself. As time wore on, the comics changed to suit the times, with the captain fighting communisim, then (in peaceful times) alien invaders and various other supervillains. In the film world, it's basically the same: Captain America fights Hydra, a Nazi-spawned orginization bent on controlling the world, then joins the Avengers to fend off the Chitauri, Loki and Tony Stark's rouge robot, Ultron.

But outside the Avenger movies, Steve Rogers has been fighting another battle. In the Winter Soldier, S.H.I.E.L.D. plans to unleash a trio of Helicarriers set up with scanning technology which can identify and eliminate anyone and everyone who could become a threat to S.H.I.E.L.D..

"This isn't freedom. This is fear." Steve says.

And then it's revealed that Hydra has infiltrated S.H.I.E.L.D., and even the Black Widow agrees that S.H.I.E.L.D. needs to be revealed for what it really is. The result is another battle with many casaulties. Then the Civil War comes around, and the government sets out an argument that superheroes are dangerous and must be controlled. They cannot fight battles unless the government sends them, and they cannot argue with the government's decisions. If the heroes don't comply, they will be imprisoned.

Steve doesn't trust the government after the events in the Winter Soldier, especially after the director of S.H.I.E.L.D. seemed very hesitant to destroy Hydra and after all, the Avengers did save people without the government having to tell them to do it. Why should they register? Why can't they be free to help whoever, whenever?

While the real-world government may or may not have Hydra in it's ranks, there is another disease spreading in it: Corruption, selfishness, greed, and zealotism. It's hard to find any heroes there, anyone who believes in righteous behavior. So should we follow them?

There are two sides to the Civil War: Tony Stark's "If we can't accept limitations, we're no better than the bad guys", and Steve Roger's "If I see a situation going south, I can't ignore it". Both are right.

The answer to the question comes in two parts.

Part one: "Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except by God, and those that exist have been instituted by God." -Romans 13:1

"Remind them to be submissive to rulers and authorities, to be obedient, to be ready for every good work." - Titus 3:1

"And we urge you, brothers, admonish the idle, encourage the fainthearted, help the weak, be patient with them all. See that no one repays anyone evil for evil, but always seek to do good to one another to everyone."

"But Peter and the apostles answered, 'we must obey God rather than men.'" - Acts 5:29

"But Peter John answered them, 'whether it is right in the sight of God to listen to you rather than God, you must judge.'"

The choice is yours. Man or God?

Contains spoilers for all movies containing Captain America.