The Activity Between People on the Internet | Teen Ink

The Activity Between People on the Internet

By Eyescar BRONZE, Williamsport, Pennsylvania
Eyescar BRONZE, Williamsport, Pennsylvania

"Homo, Homini, Lupius" (Translate from latin to Man is Wolf to Man"

Technology has been quickly evolving and increasingly complex and open to the public ever since the industrial revolution has taken off, rushing in the modern era. That said I raise the question, is the rapidly evolving technology killing our friendships, specifically the internet and handheld devices. My stance on this would be both yes and no; since it can ruin relationships from the people refusing to interact on a personal level but yet, so many have created relationships over the internet and phones, and how increased communication had allowed great things too. Furthermore, there are benefits to these and downsides to these and  teenagers on the web, the connectivity and and spread of ideas over these, and how they are brought together through these.

To begin with, teenagers on the internet and phones and so allows teenagers to learn through the internet which sometimes are more effective than school; even young children can benefit from this on certain websites, side note, I used websites like these and that really helped me in the early years of my learning experience. To continue on, I have a friend named Rikky who has Spina Bifida and he has trouble walking, so other than his sisters and other family, he doesn’t socialize much. Yet he has made friends over social websites, with adult supervision. On the other hand, there are people on the internet who chose to bully other for no other reason than for the naughty giggles it may give them, trolls; in addition, predators too. How would solve this you may ask, simple, don’t tolerate it from anyone, even yourself. Also a problem would be that 1 in 4 teens are online constantly, which is a problem and can be solved by adult supervision.

Secondly, the connectivity of technology, spread of ideas and interests, and how friendships are formed. To start off with some statistics, google received Four million search queries per MINUTE in 2014. Not even to mention other browsers and the deep web, that’s a lot of information every day. There are two sides to this, it’s impressive how much information travels just thought google and amazing, but that’s a bit too much for anyone. Within this, some people who like a certain subject, with other people create groups, which people with the same interests could find it and make friends over the internet. Of course one argument against this  would be about dangerous ideas and indoctrinating people into these. Yet again though, adult supervision for children.

Thirdly, the connection overseas to stay in contact. I want to ask you a question, do you have your phone on you? If you do how many contacts do you have and can you find out how much time you’ve spent on social media? Most likely it’s more than you would like to admit, but this proves a point; technology brings humans together. I’ll bet you have relationships an ocean away and that $300 pile of metal keeps you two in touch. I could text my cousin in Ethiopia, I could send a message over to Korea, England, France, Hungary, just about anywhere, with the touch of a keyboard. But still if 94% of teenagers use their smartphone every day, we need to use my solution for that.
Ending this essay, I wanted to mention why I had to write this. The connectivity, the learning and spread of ideas, and how we keep reactions overseas, why it matters. I say it’s because we need the best future for our generation; and the problems we have won’t be good for us, so we want to fix this.