Is Technology Ruining Friendships? | Teen Ink

Is Technology Ruining Friendships?

January 13, 2016
By Anonymous

Some experts argue that one in four teens almost constantly are online is a dangerous  thing, yet I believe that it’s an opportunity. Technology brings us closer together and can help us in everyday lives; rather than replacing friends with screens.


First, I believe that technology takes the awkwardness out of face to face contact, as  talking to someone may make you uncomfortable. It could be prohibiting you to say what is on your mind. A much simpler way of communicating is through text. By texting a person, there is no resistance on what you are trying to say. You are able to revise your words before you send them and hopefully not saying something you will later regret or than could hurt someone's feelings. While making friends face to face may make you uncomfortable, there are other ways of interaction using technology. Technology can help bond people together by showing similar interests.
Secondly, technology can help friends and family keep in touch. When moments together are not in reach, the next best thing is to use technology to catch up on each other's life and share precious moments through videos and calls. The ability to play back a memory on a screen is amazing; something that can be cherished and kept forever. Although others might argue that teens spend too much time on technology I disagree, I believe that so much technology is available and can make everyday life a little easier. For example, one way that technology can make life a little easier is you can interact with family that live far away.


Some may argue technology is the problem in the world, I do not, I believe that technology helps escape the evil and pressure in the world and has the ability to let you create your own world where what others say or think doesn't matter. After stressful times technology is there to help you communicate and remind you what you should be grateful for, or just make your day a little better.


In conclusion, I believe that not only is technology not replacing friends with screens but actually bringing us closer together and establishing relationships among teens. Overall, I believe this topic makes the world a better place by making it easier to create friends, and make otherwise lost friendships keep in touch.