The Power of Technology | Teen Ink

The Power of Technology

January 13, 2016
By RileyyyStewart BRONZE, Williamsport, Pennsylvania
RileyyyStewart BRONZE, Williamsport, Pennsylvania
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

The average teenager sends about 2,000 texts a month according to the Pew Research Center. Have we ever thought about how much power technology has over us, and  about how much time we spend on it? Technology can ruin friendships,it can cause people to self harm, or suicide, and whatever you put on it will be there forever. Technology, as we all know can be both good and bad. It can bring people together, but can also ruin friendships and relationships.
 

To start, opponents may say that technology can help friendships and create new ones. This fact is true, but technology can harm and kill friendships. It can prevent us from spending time with people in person or make us miss out on real world relationships. According to the Pew Research Center a typical teen teen spends 44 hours per week on technology and most of it is on social media. We give technology all our time which can break friendships, or cause loneliness. I also do agree that it can create new friendships. If you're a shy person, then technology is your way of making friends. So technology can be both good and bad in some cases.


  Next, others might say that technology is good because you can communicate with people far away. I agree with that, but technology can also be bad. It all depends on the person using the technology, because anything you do on it will stay there forever. It’s sad that people can be so immature about what they put on the internet and take advantage of what technology is really for. I can see that technology helps communicate with people far away, but it all depends on the person in charge of the technology device.


  Finally, enemies may argue that technology can heal friendships, which they can, but it can also cause people to self harm, or even commit suicide. According to the Pew Research Center 76% of teens use social media. Social media are the cites where cyber bullying can happen. Rude people can embarrass you online, or spread rumors. Using technology the wrong way can cause several people problems. You can make them feel so pathetic to the point where they choose to take their own life. Technology can also be on the good side by making new friendships and healing old ones. Again if you're shy technology helps you make friends. Technology can be good, but think before you say or post, and think how will it effect others. By saying or posting something horrible you could be hurting people and not even know it.


  So, technology can be good and bad. It can bring people together, or tear them apart. Keep in mind that technology can ruin friendships, cause people self harm or, commit suicide,and anything on technology can stay there forever. Just before you post or say something think about how many people are affecting and how you are. You can be hurting someone that they will take their own life, and you wouldn’t even know it.