The Life of a Poor, or Maybe Rich, Man | Teen Ink

The Life of a Poor, or Maybe Rich, Man

By unclealex13 BRONZE, West Des Moines, Iowa
unclealex13 BRONZE, West Des Moines, Iowa

Life is like a river. It flows in many directions, but at the same time, has one basic path that never changes. It is deep at some points, and shallow at others. If deep water were a bad thing, and shallow were a good thing, John's life could only be explained by a mixture between the two. John lived in a low-class apartment, with little food in the cupboards, dirty furniture, and roaches in the walls. It definitely wasn't a great life.

From the outside.

John's life on the inside was very different. He helped the poor. He volunteered at homeless organizations. He worked hard to provide for others in worse situations than him.

One thing most people don't quite understand is why people are poor, even when they could get a good job.

Let's look at John's life a bit differently. Instead of being in a mixture of deep and shallow water, he's now in very shallow water, if not on an island or the shore. He's rich. He has money. He lives in an enourmous mansion. Much different than the previous picture. And, to top off this picture, he hoards his money to himself. He doesn't care about others. He doesn't help the poor. He doesn't volunteer at homeless organizations.

And then he wonder?s: Why is there poor in the world? Why can't everyone be as rich and as wealthy as I am? Maybe, if I'm rich, and I get enough money, I can help the poor, someday.

What's the key word? Someday.

To a procrastinator, someday is never. And it just so happens that John is a procrastinator.

Getting the picture?

on Nov. 5 2015 at 5:38 pm
ScarletCity PLATINUM, High Ridge, Missouri

Anything that can be done, can be undone. ~Scarlet City
http://eepurl.com/dcyZMn

I like that you used the name John. John truly was rich.