Social Media: A Monster? | Teen Ink

Social Media: A Monster?

In an increasingly modern age, today’s teenagers are becoming more and more tech savvy.  But are they becoming too much so? Today’s technology can change people. It has the power to make people narcissistic, addicted, or even depressed. The public needs to protect our youth. This issue will not stop. It is like an insidious snake, invisibly squirming its way through people’s minds; warping them as it passes.

Social media is a monster, the worst part is no one sees it coming. It has the power to make people narcissistic. A mental illness that causes someone to only think about himself. People post “selfies” on social media sites and get input on their picture. This can lead to a bloated self-image and ego which limits society’s potential as it draws others in.

Social media and video games unite to fire yet another arrow into society. The increasing amounts of addiction are sometimes causing kids to miss school. In the famous words of Ferris Bueller, “Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.” Children today aren’t looking around and smelling the roses as much as staring at screens and mowing down enemies.

Social media has so much untapped potential. This potential will never be reached when people slam each other whenever they have the chance. To make it worse, this slamming leads to depression. A very real illness that has caused not only an increase in school absences but also in suicides. When people use social media to cyberbully, its potential to bring people together changes into a weapon that tears people apart.

“There is no life without death,” says Kyle Idleman. In turn, there is no society without suffering. However, if citizens let our suffering push humanity to places people never otherwise would have gone, society has lost. The fight to keep social media and video games from destroying our culture is as much an epidemic as obesity.

Bibliography
Firestone, Lisa. "Is Social Media to Blame for the Rise in Narcissism?" The Huffington Post. TheHuffingtonPost.com, 15 Oct. 2012. Web. 21 Nov. 2014.
Kardaras, Dr. Nicholas. "Plugged-in and Tuned-out: The Dangers of Teenage Virtual Addiction." Fox News. FOX News Network, 26 Sept. 2014. Web. 21 Nov. 2014.
Henderson, Maureen J. "Is Social Media Destroying Your Self-Esteem?" Forbes. Forbes Magazine, n.d. Web. 20 Nov. 2014.