The Role of Apps in Everyday Life | Teen Ink

The Role of Apps in Everyday Life

January 14, 2015
By maxwell.schoenfeld BRONZE, Franklin Lakes, New Jersey
maxwell.schoenfeld BRONZE, Franklin Lakes, New Jersey
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

With the invention of the smartphone, a new technological breakthrough occurred. One of the first smart phones was known as the iPhone and it could hold hundreds of these brilliant creations known as apps. The dictionary definition of an app is a self-contained program or piece of software designed to fulfill a particular purpose. However, I would define them as entertainment, convenient and fully necessary to sustain life. Millions of people in the world don’t just depend on phone apps for just games or movies, but also for its note taking capabilities, for its alarm clock, etc. Phone apps are not all just fun and games. When utilized correctly, they can be vital in someone’s everyday life. That is why several companies provide their employees with smart phones.
     

Phone apps come in several different categories. The primary three that most people have most likely used today are games, social and communication, and utilities. Gaming apps are mainly for fun, entertainment, and socializing, which include Angry Birds, Doodle Jump, and Temple Run. Social and communication apps include phone calls, texting, and social networking, which are all very commonly used. Utilities are apps that are very straightforward, have everyday professional use, and typically are free or inexpensive. They include a timer, stopwatch, notepad, calculator, thesaurus, and even a dictionary.
     

The brilliance of phone apps put simply is that they evolve your phone into multiple forms of technology. Since the device allows the user to type freely and access the Internet, the smartphone resembles a pocket-sized computer. Because you can see people face to face on it with either Facetime or Skype, it has the technological advancements of a webcam. Due to the fact that you can listen to music on it, it can also be called an iPod. With apps, Apple has combined multiple forms of technology into the iPhone. This not only increases convenience, but also a person’s productivity. Even with all these great advancements, I am sure that the majority of current and potential iPhone users care the price more than any other criteria. When you look at the price of the new iPhone and say, “Wow! That is way too expensive,” think of it like this: wouldn’t buying a laptop, an iPod, and a webcam cost a lot more?