'Style Is Eternal' | Teen Ink

'Style Is Eternal'

September 13, 2014
By Amy-Eliza BRONZE, Stafford, Other
Amy-Eliza BRONZE, Stafford, Other
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
'So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.'
- F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby


A great man once said “Fashions fade, style is eternal.” I am of course, talking about the late designer Yves Saint Laurent; a man with enough personal style to put many women to shame…But what is style? The Oxford Dictionary would define style to be ‘a distinctive appearance, typically determined by the principles according to which something is designed’, yet that doesn’t quite do the concept of style as a whole justice.  For myself, style cannot be taught yet can be learnt to a certain extent; you can take aspects of another person’s look, yet taking that look entirely would be unjust to you both. You aren’t staying true to yourself by robbing an identity, and style is just that; an identity.

You as an individual will have your own interpretation of the word ‘style’ and your own interpretation of who embodies that word as if it were their second name; from Audrey Hepburn to Kate Moss, many women have left their mark in permanent ink  and are still true icons when it comes to styling our own look. Whether you choose to sport a mini skirt or dungarees, these women (or men) will always heavily influence not only your fashion choices but the way you carry yourself, to what extent you take that influence without altering your own independence is up to you.


The author's comments:

Being beautiful is more than the clothes you wear. If you can smile and walk like you're a model at fashion week; you've won the game.