Essentials of a Shopaholic | Teen Ink

Essentials of a Shopaholic

By Aarushi BRONZE, Panchkula, Other
Aarushi BRONZE, Panchkula, Other

When the shopping malls invite them with their open arms, they don’t let them down. They love to shop and the shops love them in return. Be it cosmetics, groceries, lifestyle products, when they drop into the shops, they shop till they drop.
Shopaholics are individuals who can't control their spending. For those people, buying something is like a spring tonic - it makes them feel great.
Online shopping, window shopping or the actual shopping, whether alone, or with a friend in tow, shopaholics have that perfect chemistry, the perfect love story with shopping. Here are some of the obvious, bizarre, annoying, silly, funny ways to judge whether you are a shopaholic or not:

You love to doll up:
It’s a well known universal fact that outfits, footwear, eye wears, belts, jewelries, bags, skincare and make up products, anything and everything that raises our style quotient deserves a place in our shopping list. Buying one item on the list automatically paves a way for the rest of items in your shopping cart. Buying a new stylish clutch to match your new purple hued evening gown is inevitable you see.

Sale and discounts offers:
Sale going on? Wow! Discount offers? Awesome! How can we do injustice to these offers? You are the one who doesn’t mind sorting through heaps of shoes piled up together or searching through those racks of bath towel for that one greenish blue colored towel that will match the color theme of your bathrooms. Who knows when you might just manage to catch a good bargain?

Beating competitors:
You can’t resist the temptation to redo your living room after catching the glimpse of those new curtains of your neighbor’s window? you feel the need to add more inches to their height when a co-worker walks in to your office with a new pair of stilettos. Whether it is that sleek digital photo frame sitting in your cousin’s bedroom or that stylish watch proudly grinning at you from a friend’s wrist, you want it because someone else has it.

Shopping nullifies the effects of a bad day
However ironic it may sound, the shopping bags dangling from your shoulders outweigh your migraines and all the other kind of headaches, some real, some fakes ones. When you lift those shopping bags, your spirits are lifted even higher. Your stressed minds are rejuvenated and you get that awesome feeling, you know the kind a chocolate lover would feel when he dives in a chocolate pool. Shopping has become your mood-lifting medication.

Shopping is always on your mind
Somehow shopping caters to your need to fill the time of the day. You don’t mind scrutinizing for hours the items you don’t need or researching on the products you don’t guarantee a purchase on.
Whether receiving an increment at work, or that long awaited compliment from the “difficult-to-please- cute-guy (or girl)”, you simply love to multiply your joy by indulging in a shopping spree. And yess! A bad fever or a bad weather won’t bog down your shopping plans.

Often run your credit cards up to the limit?
Frequently relying on credit to buy what you can't afford should be a red flag -- if you're not already in serious financial trouble, you're on your way.
You find trouble managing your savings because all the money was spent buying some expensive gifts or things you actually don’t require but couldn’t resist. And when your family finds your debt creeping up slowly every month you start justifying your purchases.

Brands brands brands!!
A true shopaholic will only stick to brand names such as Louis Vuitton, Gucci, Prada, Armani, Versace, and Christian Dior, the list goes on. These are the items they HAVE to have. A neurotic shopper believes that these items stand for who they are.

Low Self-Esteem
You struggle with low self-esteem and feelings of not being “good enough.” A lot of your shopping has been an attempt to measure up and fit in. As you dress better, you receive more compliments and validation from others. Of course, with fashion the target is always moving. The styles continually change, so one must keep buying new things to keep up.

So basically if shopping is your religion, you need to find a new temple to get over your habit of compulsive shopping. And next time when you find the most wonderful thing in the world just ask whether you actually need it or???