Theatre Problems | Teen Ink

Theatre Problems

June 5, 2014
By LilRansom PLATINUM, Santa Ana, California
LilRansom PLATINUM, Santa Ana, California
22 articles 13 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened." -Dr.Seuss


“Projection!”, “Get on stage!”, “Why weren't you at my rehearsal?”, “My costumes are missing!”, “Has anyone seen my props?” are a couple of things you will perceive as Thespians are preparing for a show. Not many would know that because of the decreasing numbers of audiences for live theater. Statistics show audiences of live theater have decreased from 47.31 million in Spring 2008 to 43.63 million in Spring 2013. Live theatre shouldn't have decreasing audience numbers, but numbers that are rapidly increasing due to admiration of hard work and a once in a lifetime opportunity to observe each production as “the show must go on”.

For starters, most live actors and actresses have a very difficult time managing what they need to do in order to make the musical or play flawless. Directors demand lines to be memorized. Blocking has to be smooth. Dances need to be choreographed and learned by the actors and understudies. When it comes time for performance week, actors, directors, understudies, stage crew, and tech are over the top stressed, hoping things will go as planned. One dance step wrong, line skipped or forgotten, not planned awkward silence can cost you the rest of the performance nights, plus critics attacking your reputation. In the end if all goes well, you could have stunning reviews and boost your career. All in all, the hard work that the actors put in to the performance should be supported not only by family and friends, but others wanting to experience the viewing of a showcase.

Also, the once in a lifetime opportunity of seeing each individual presentation is more than overwhelming. The various presentations of each showcase are sometimes different than the one shown before. Casts could be different each night or the chemistry between the actors can give you different vibes about the show. The first performance night could go as planned as the second doesn't, or vice versa. With this being said, reviews could be outstanding or “five stars” for one night and not so well or “three stars” the second.

Another reason why audience numbers should increase is because shows can influence people to look at their behavior with others and improve on their lifestyles. Each showcase has many hidden messages behind them. The King and I, written by Rodgers and Hammerstein in 1956, have a few of hidden messages that are: love can not be hidden in a shadow, not even a king knows everything, and how you treat others will reflect how others will treat you. Also, Wicked ,written by Gregory Maguire in 1995, can show you how judging people buy how they look can make an impact on their lives. As a final point, messages in each showcase can reach out to the audience and help lead them to better lives.

As the curtains close, not only is theatre teaching its audience to become better people, it is also expanding social skills for those who participate. Theatre also brings great entertainment to those who go and watch. “Drama” doesn't just bring entertainment, but it brings a lifetime of memories to remember.


The author's comments:
This is an opinion editorial that I wrote for my English teacher who was my former Theatre teacher. I love my Drama Momma!