Pop Culture's Purpose | Teen Ink

Pop Culture's Purpose

March 12, 2014
By ddeleck04 BRONZE, Cincinnati, Ohio
ddeleck04 BRONZE, Cincinnati, Ohio
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Pop Culture’s Purpose
Culture is “the arts and other manifestations of human intellectual achievement regarded collectively.” – Google Definitions. Culture is a vast part of humans’ lives. It illustrates not only where one is from, but who that particular person is and why they are the way they are. Culture is adaptable. It has the ability to change. Thus, as generation after generation comes and goes we see each of them leave their mark on culture. Today and over the last several years, the culture accepted and obtained by society has been defined by one term. Popular.

Pop culture is the collectivity of ideas, perspectives, attitudes and images within one society. It has an elephantine effect on people and can manipulate and alter the livelihoods of many. The question is, how great of an impact does it have? The answer is indisputable. Pop culture has, and still is, changed the way people lived. Since the early twentieth century, popular culture has alternated and changed people’s fashion, morals and aspirations. As the demand for “popularity” has risen, the standards of living have dwindled.

Probably the most commutated thing in culture is fashion. From poodle skirts to silly bands, fashion and its fads have overwhelmed humanity. However, lately, fashion has served a further purpose than “What not to Wear”. Rather than just dealing with apparel and cosmetics, fashion has made its way into a new region, body image. The pop culture of recent decades has placed pressure and stress on teenagers, mainly females, to be skinnier and thinner. The barrage of what a famous athlete, model, or artist looks like these days has made adolescents of the present more self-conscious than ever before. Eating disorders, cosmetic surgeries, and the use of drug enhancements have increased, and the portrayed image of beauty has become inhumane. All thanks to photo-shop, the editing of magazines and the un-proportional sculpting of dolls. Pop Culture has transformed from the term “fashion” to the unattainable term, “body image”.

As more and more people seek the approval of others, more and more of their morals are thrown out the window. Through the culture of twenty to twenty-first century, the morals and rules by which people live their lives by have diminished. No longer are gentlemen appreciated, but rather “bros” and “homies” are more praised for slapping a girl’s ass than opening up the door for a girl. Along with this, the “elegant “and “pretty” woman has been replaced with the “sexy” and “slutty” hooker. The public’s opinion on beauty has changed. Moreover, children who were once shamed for using profanity are now laughed at and encouraged to use it as it comes across as “cute”. As people pursue the idea of being more “likable” they are willing to challenge and go against their personal principles. Therefore, Pop Culture has induced society’s ethics to depreciate.

It is human nature to want to feel the sensation of acceptance. As a repercussion to this, people’s aspirations have changed. Today, it is more valued and recognized by society to dance naked on a wrecking ball, as opposed to risking your life to maintain people’s freedom. Due to this, youth’s ambitions and career goals have altered. Now a days, a young girl would see it better to be a model than becoming a doctor. Likewise, a young boy would rather be a body builder than becoming an astronaut. Pop culture of the past few decades has affected the lives of generation after generation, and along the way has manipulated what kids see as a successful future.

It is clearly evident that culture has a great impact on society in its entirety. It symbolizes who people are and represents where they come from. Culture possesses the ability to change people from one generation to the other and has a vast impact on the way people live. Through Popular Culture’s impact on society it alters the public’s appearances, personal principles and inclinations. Civilization’s idolization and adoration of becoming popular has deteriorated people’s level of affluence. Thus, culture serves a larger purpose than just “the arts and other manifestations of human intellectual achievement regarded collectively”, it changes the world and the people who live on it.