Technopillian Landshaik | Teen Ink

Technopillian Landshaik

By Waltre Vail BRONZE, Gold Hill, Oregon
Waltre Vail BRONZE, Gold Hill, Oregon

Eighty-one percent of people in the world use technology; in the US, at any time, there are 110 million people on the internet, and 55% of people in the world use the internet everyday. Clearly people use technology a lot, and it is rather interesting how much it is used and how much people constantly work to make it better and better. Some technological advancements are bad for the human race and possibly Earth; most benefits from this type of technology are not be good enough to take the associated risks. There are many stories in which time travel impacts the plot; this is clearly not possibly, but it may be in the future, and that could be bad. This is demonstrated in Ray Bradbury’s short story, “A Sound of Thunder.” Many movies are science fiction and show dangers of technology. This is also currently present today.

In “A Sound of Thunder,” technology, specifically time travel, is clearly abused and not used for an important reason. People in this story pay a lot of money to go back to the primeval days and kill dinosaurs recreationally. This may be very fun for the people who are travelling back in time, but it is not fun for all that other humans on Earth that could be greatly affected if something goes wrong. In time travel there are so many different things that could go wrong and not enough things that could go right. Travelling to the past would not be effective to the people in the present because people probably would not find anything advanced that could be a medical cure. Even if those people could find something helpful in real life, in this story the people travel back only to pleasure themselves. Travelling to the future is a whole other story, it would actually be useful. People could travel to the future and take medical cures and bring them back to the present day in order to have them as soon as possible. That thought shows time travel could be very helpful, but it could also be very bad. The story explains that when one of the characters accidentally kills a butterfly it affects the present day, and it could be even more dramatic. To sum it up, the story gives an example of how technology can be abused.
There is a show on tv called Almost Human. It is set in 2044; in this time, technology advances at a fairly rapid pace. This is really bad; criminals can now use technology that has not yet been seen, and this makes it rather easy to pull off major crimes. Technology can also be used positively. The police force in the show creates a line of synthetic drones that are loaded with unlimited knowledge. This allows the police to have intelligence on unseen technology. This is an example of using technology for something good, and needed.
Technology and advancement issues do not only occur in stories, people can consistently see these in the real world. A good example of this would be Genetically Modified Organisms. This is actually a big deal in the present day. GMO’s have large potential to be great, but the also have potential to be harmful. Something great could come from a GMO, like a cure for something very deadly. This would be great, but it would be no good if scientists made too many things that people do not necessarily need. It could be a risk that would not be worth taking, just like time travel in “A Sound of Thunder.” Some decisions are very tough and questionable, and maybe people should only advance technology when needed.
Technology is used by a lot of people all the time. It is used in stories and in the real world. People constantly work to make it better. It has some advantages, but it can certainly be dangerous.

This really touched my heart when I was writing it.