Do you think Miley Cyrus is a bad influence? | Teen Ink

Do you think Miley Cyrus is a bad influence?

January 16, 2014
By alyssa-smith BRONZE, Dulles, Virginia
alyssa-smith BRONZE, Dulles, Virginia
3 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
Punk is musical freedom. It's saying, doing and playing what you want. In Webster's terms, 'nirvana' means freedom from pain, suffering and the external world, and that's pretty close to


In my opinion, I believe that Miley Cyrus is not a bad influence. She has not done anything that no other pop star hasn’t. She has been nude, provocative and open about her new life choices; she is following the path that has been set for pop stars of this century. She has progressed as a Disney star from Hannah Montana on the Disney Channel and is now releasing her new album bangerz where she is not wearing pants. It has been a constant argument whether or not she is a bad influence on children.

Miley Cyrus has been called a bad influenced and at some points more aggressive words a whore or a slut. I believe that she isn’t either of those things nor is she a bad influence if you don’t agree with what she does or if you don’t want your children to see it, you have the power to turn it off. And I believe that she understands that and that she knows most of her fans will follow her and respect her for what she is willing to do and the ones that don’t like it are in power to just turn it off and avoid it. In one of her most recent events at the VMA’s, her collaboration with Robin Thicke’s Blurred Lines/We Can’t Stop was called many things, Harry Styles said "I think it's quite inappropriate," he told Moviefone about twerking. "Especially for the age groups that it's aimed at." The One Direction singer also joked at the NYC premiere of "This Is Us" it wasn't provocative at all: "I thought it was vanilla. I would feel comfortable watching it with my grandma." (Rider, 2013). As a fellow worker in the music industry I understand why Styles would say that but, I don’t think that hiding people from it will stop anything. The more or less views she gets the more she will do it. She isn’t going stop because someone disagrees; this is Miley Cyrus. She has made it very clear that she doesn’t care what people think about her and in my opinion it is the best message you can send. You need to tell kids that no matter whom people want you to be, be yourself.

The path that Miley has chosen is just following her fellow Disney stars before her, such as Brittany Spears and Christina Aguilera. In 2003 Madonna, Britney Spear and Christina Aguilera performed on the MTV Video Music Awards. The three performed Madonna’s song Like a Virgin, it was considered the third worst MTV performance due to provocative dress and dance and a kiss between the three of them. Like Miley they we not congratulated on a great performance, but they did not care. They proceeded on with their careers just as Miley has and will continue too. In another event at the EMA’s in Amsterdam, Netherlands she had a smoke break of marijuana in the middle of her show. According to Miley’s manager "She couldn't be happier," Larry Rudolph told People. "Most of it came from Miley's brain. But she collaborated with [her music video director] (Rider, 2013).

To conclude, I believe Miley Cyrus is not a bad influence, even if she does make bad decisions. I believe that if you don’t agree with what she does you have the power to turn it off and avoid it as much as possible. She has changed a lot since Hannah Montana and is going to keep changing.