Individuality vs. Fitting-In

“No one should part with their individuality and become that of another”.

Our individual characteristics and traits are what initiates change and drives society; thus, in a world in which individuality didn’t exist, modern society as we know it would most likely fall to pieces. William Channing’s quote exemplifies the belief that individuality is important and that one should never try to become someone else. Instead, we should embrace our uniqueness. This belief holds true, especially in regard to the world we currently live in.

In the past as well as today’s society, individuality is vital to society. Individuality spurs innovations, keeps life and culture captivating, and forces society to continue to evolve.

In today’s society, we have every convenience at our fingertips: computers, cell phones, and tablets all interact to make our lives easier. But where would we be if Michael Dell hadn’t brought the home computer into nearly every household? If Steve Jobs hadn’t invented the iPhone? If Thomas Edison hadn’t created the lightbulb? Creativity drove these innovations, and that creativity is directly related to our individuality. If Michael Dell and Steve Jobs had the same personality, traits, and behaviors, it is doubtful that either one of them would have brainstormed and created the society changing technology they did. Individuality is what leads and provides inspiration for innovation, and is thus an extremely important quality that contributes to society greatly.

While individuality impacts innovation, the importance of individuality can most notably be seen in culture. Literature is filled with distinctive personalities and uniqueness; literary works are often comparable, but one will never find a work that does not reflect the author’s distinct character. In every case, the author’s individual beliefs and feelings pour through, keeping the arts from becoming mundane and repetitive. Songwriting and music operate in much the same way, with an emphasis on individuality. Being different is good; often, artists whom produce similar sounding music are criticized and ridiculed, and must defend against claims that they ‘stole’ someone else’s sound. Individuality not only infuses culture, but also forces society and culture to evolve and encompass new innovations and beliefs. Culture depends on individuality and creativity; without these two important traits, one can assume culture would become tiresome and dull.

It is this individuality that fuel society and is present in every aspect of it. Culture, a significant part of society, is filled with individuality. The people that compromise society are all filled with individuality. It is clear that individuality is vital to society. Yet historically, people have not been kind to that which is different; the Holocaust, slavery, and demeaning stereotypes all illustrate how individuality and being different from societal norms have been frowned upon. But this is what has driven the evolution of society. Society is constantly changing and evolving, and it is all due to individuality. It takes one creative thinker to voice their opinion, to develop an argument, and to attract followers in order to initiate change. In politics, which is an instrumental part of society, voters are constantly looking for change; for a politician that is fresh, new, and can bring original ideas to the table. Society is forever changing, moving forward, and seeking new ground; all this can be attributed to the individuality which provides fuel to the societal fire.
It is clear; individuality plays a pivotal role in modern society. Today, individuality is cherished and revered; everyone is seeking to be distinguishable from any other person. Everyone strives to be different, to stand out, to find themselves. No one wants to be a part of the crowd; everyone wants to be their own person. Thus, not only does individuality lend itself to innovations, culture, and society, individuality is a distinct trait that we, as people, search for.