Simple Things This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

How did we get where we are now? That question isn't historical or scientific. Instead it is a mere curiosity. How did we go from Elvis Presley to Jay-Z? When exactly did we start wearing our hats backwards and saying things like “swag” and “yolo”? Can someone tell me when teens stopped talking on the phone all night and started texting until we fell asleep? When did it become lame for a guy to take a girl out on a date instead of hanging out in couples all the time?

My real question is what was wrong with the way things were before? When's the last time you and a friend talked about the meaning of a book? Now all I ever hear are discussions of whether a movie was good. Why is a story full of characters and life just reduced to “good” or “it sucked”? Am I the only one who sees things beyond the literal? Am I the only one who treats a person as if he has a voice and is not simply text on a screen?

For some reason I enjoy hearing laughter over the phone instead of reading “lol.” I dream of taking a girl out for dinner and to a movie instead of talking to her with all of my crazy friends around. I watch a movie and see the joy, despair, and anger lash out beyond the screen without the help of 3-D glasses.

I prefer the simple things. Doesn't anyone else?

LaChouette This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jan. 4 at 10:41 pm
As much as I try to avoid it, I realize I am feeding into a lot of what society determines as 'appropriate' behavior nowadays. I think you're absolutely correct in what you're saying and your piece offers a convincing argument and a great perspective. Great job and congratulations!

TheSkyOwesMeRainThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Sept. 12, 2013 at 1:51 am
I completely agree! I wish that people didn't feel the need to be "cool" and fit in with all the cool kids all the time. 

JRayeThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
First off, congrats on the Editors Choice, because you earned it :) Second, I completely agree! Now, I don't have anything against popular things or people nessicarily, but really, some things are ridiculous. Following stupid trends just so we fit in with everybody else, it's just sad. I wish more people would just be unique, be themselves, not try to please everyone else.

glamouriize said...
Unfortunately not as many people appreciate the simple things. We have become so used to this change that we believed was for the better. We thought evolving in such a  way was going to be a positive outcome and maybe for some it is but it has left many of us nostalgic. Somewhere inbetween all thsese movements and wars something changed. We developed new technology and lost the intimate contact we once had. However I do appreciate the time we live in now because we are as far as we could ev... (more »)

Minkerbell said...
I liked this. It is siple and I agree. Things have changed and they continue to change, and no one can stop it. It's very unfortunate but it's the truth. I enjoyed reading your piece of work. Good job! :)

XiphiasThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I get this.  I love a good conversation about a movie or book. Somehow talking about characters helps me get more out of a book/film, you know what I mean? anyways- your article is very well written, very put together.   Good job and congrats on the editor's choice :D

Laugh-it-OutThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I totally agree!! I mean, I don't really text as it is, but I absolutly hate itwhen people say lol to your face! I mean, if it is funny, LAUGH!! Anyway, great peice and congrats on the editors choice! Amazing job, love love love. Oh, and btw's I dont really like Jay-Z :P Keep rockin E. J.

dragonsandthree said...
May 18, 2013 at 8:31 am
I agree. People just don't slow down anymore.

IrenieThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 18, 2013 at 12:17 am
I liked this. You framed your argument well. And I liked how you used words to create good imagery. You deserved the Editors choice :) Good Job!

guardianofthestarsThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I liked this a lot.  I feel the same way that you do. People hardly stop to smell the roses or to read between the lines.  It sometimes is like the ability to think deeply is gone. :/ Congrats on the Editor's Choice. I think it deserved it!  It was very nicely written. :) Well done.