Computer Impacts | Teen Ink

Computer Impacts

May 10, 2012
By Zoey24 SILVER, Williamsport,, Pennsylvania
Zoey24 SILVER, Williamsport,, Pennsylvania
5 articles 0 photos 5 comments

Favorite Quote:
If we judge each other we won't ever have time to love each other!


Imagine it being a long and humid spring day. You’re just coming home from school and you have to prepare to write a three page report for your English class. So, before you get started you go to get a snack. A little while later, you start to lay out all of your books so you can get started. First, you organize your ideas and you think of your thesis. After a while of thinking, your pencil is zooming across the paper because, you just want to get done. All of a sudden your hand starts to cramp up and you know you’re going to need a break. Then, you notice that you left all of your text books in your locker and you wonder, ‘What should I do now?’

Do you ever get tired of writing these types of reports out on paper? Are books and articles sometimes inconvenient? Do they provide enough information for you? Have you ever wished that there was a simpler and faster way to getting this work done? Well, there is! Today, there are technology devices that have made our lives easier. One of those devices is a computer. Computers have changed from timed to time. Not only that they have made great impacts and changes in our world.

What is a computer?

A computer is a device that comes in many shapes and sizes. This electronic machine accepts input, processes data, stores data, and produces output. Computers require software, which is a computer program that instructs the computer on what to works to perform (Parsons et al. 4).

When was the first computer invented?

The first computer was planned out by Charles Babbage, but was later created by Howard Aiken, in 1944. This computer was called the Harvard Mark 1 (Jackson 4). The Harvard Mark 1 could work with numbers and arithmetic; meaning, the computer could add, subtract, multiply, and divide (Jackson 5).

What do computers do today?

Computers can perform many tasks. For an example, a computer can connect to the Internet; this allows you to research, communicate, watch videos, share music, and so much more. The Internet is a program that was invented in the 1960’s (Jefferis 8).

Also, computers allow you to type on word documents and e-mail. You can download and upload pictures, videos, and documents onto the desktop or on other devices connected to the computer (Introduction to Information Technology 14).

What have computers changed?

Computers have changed many areas in our lives. For instance, they have made education a lot easier for students. Computers are great learning tools; students can look up anything at any time (Jackson 11). This is more convenient for some; they won’t have to go to a library and search for a resource. Also, they don’t have to write out a long report, they can easily type it on a word document and just transfer it to a thumb drive or e-mail it to their teachers.

Computers have also created a whole other world of entertainment. Now, there are many different sites and social nets that you can go to. For an example, there’s Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Instagram, and so much more.


How Have Computers Changed?
Computers have changed tremendously over the past years. Now, many computers have monitors and chips in them. Some even have touch tablets. They have went from traditional computers to flat screens, to laptops, to iPods and iPhones, and now to iPads. This technology was made to perform many different tasks.

Funny Computer Quotes and Sayings!
“That’s what’s cool about working with computers/ they don’t argue, they remember everything (Paul Leary)!”
“Never trust a computer you can’t throw out a window (Steve Wozniak).”



Works Cited
Collier, P.F.. “Computers.” Collier’s Encyclopedia. 7 ed. 1994. Print.
“Computer Quotes and Sayings.” The Quote Garden-Quotes, Sayings, Quotations, Verses. N.p.,
15 Jan. 2012.
Jackson, Carl. World Book. Tarrytown: Marshall Cavendish Benchmark, 2010. Print.
Jefferis, David. Cyber space: virtual reality and the World Wide Web. New York, NY: Crabtree
Pub., 1999. Print.
Parsons, Oja, Bunin, Etal, et al. Introduction to Information Technology. 2007. Print.
Feter, Scott. “Computers.” World Book Encyclopedia. 2007 ed. 2007. Print.