Suicide to Society: The Technological Revolution | Teen Ink

Suicide to Society: The Technological Revolution

By Sunshine15 PLATINUM, Modi&#39in, Other
Sunshine15 PLATINUM, Modi&#39in, Other

Never doubt that a small group of committed people can change the world. Indeed, nothing else ever has. ~Margaret Mead

Can any of us remember a time when people actually left their houses and knocked on their friend's door for a chat? When a family honestly had strong connections, based on talking and being together? When human beings actually found things to talk about for three hours or so without texting, logging into Facebook or playing Angry Birds?

Technology is, like almost everything in life, a wonderful thing when it's used in proportion. Being able to publicize your ideas on a world-wide scale in a matter of minutes is incredible. Having all the information in the world at your fingertips is an unbelievable advantage. Facebook has, as we all saw, aided the most inspiring revolution of our time-- the Arab spring.

However, the use of technology has become unproportionate, used way too much. We've gotten to a world where mothers email their kids instead of talking to them, where friends sit around "together" and don't even speak, just play on their iPods. Teenagers, who used to do things like play baseball outside, and read, now do those things with the help of a Wii or a Kindle. Think about that for a second: We don't read, or hear music, or entertain ourselves, without technology. We've become so dependant on technology that we have, for all intents and purposes, become incompetent, like small children.

As a new generation, a new dawn in history, we have been burdened with the task of retaining the simple and beautiful things, like sunsets and human interaction, in a world that is spiraling towards depression at an alarming rate.

I guess I'm just sick of sitting around with my friends while they text and email and go on Facebook. I always ask myself: What happened to good old creativity?