What Is Art? | Teen Ink

What Is Art?

By curlyqElissa BRONZE, Hillsdale, New Jersey
curlyqElissa BRONZE, Hillsdale, New Jersey

What is art? Art is defined as the expression and application of one’s creativity, typically in the form of something visual. The definition of art is in the eyes of the beholder. Many dig far too deep into the ambiguity of the actually definition of art itself that they forget to appreciate the significance of art in their lives.

I think in order to fully understand the definition of art, one must picture what life would be like without art. Consider the impact of life without your favorite pictures hanging above your bed; the cute little ceramic cow saltshakers on your kitchen table; your favorite computer game without graphics; that graffiti on the side of the bridge that you had grown so fond of; the song that you religiously replay on your iPod. Art is even proven to galvanize certain parts of our brains to make us giggle, cry, and all emotions in between.

In 1404, Donatello, an Italian Renaissance artist created a sculpture called ‘The Androgynous David,’ meaning his sculpture represented characteristics of both male and female genders. David is a biblical figure, and Donatello portrayed him during adolescence- a time for many in which is often confusing. Many people during the Renaissance thought that Donatello portrayed David in a poor, scandalous way; thus, his sculpture was only displayed in very private viewing. Many even argued that ‘The Androgynous David’ was not even art.

Maybe it is merely a “sign of the times”- that what art those who dwelled during the time of the Renaissance once deemed scandalous, we are very much tolerant and appreciative of now. If it were not for those humanists who created this art we look back at now, art would not have evolved into what it is now- the shoes you are wearing would have never been designed; the table your computer is resting on would have never been created; all the things we come across in our everyday lives would simply not have been created.

What do you think art is?

I wrote this as I was looking around my kitchen, realizing how much art is truly in my life. I hope you enjoy it! A special thanks to my friends, family, and teachers who encourage me to keep writing.

Amazing said...
on Jun. 16 2016 at 7:34 am
I hope even I could get such ideas

Amazing said...
on Jun. 16 2016 at 7:34 am
I hope even I could get such ideas

Melbell said...
Wow! I had no idea. It's amazing to get to read your inner thoughts Maya. Inquiring minds want to know. I love your perspective and honesty. Very illuminating. Well done!

Sarsarwalls said...
I'm not quite sure what this poem is about but that's part of the reason it's so great. It could be referring to many different aspects of life... even though that is true of most poems it seems especially prevalent in this. I like theveryone backwardness of it all.

on Apr. 25 2011 at 10:20 am
Sorry, anon :) lol and because you're my only friend who's a skater and calls me Olive. But thanks, anon. :)

on Apr. 25 2011 at 9:43 am
Awwwh thanks, Jordz !! Love yaah too !

on Apr. 25 2011 at 9:43 am
Awwwh thanks, Liv !! I really appreciate it :)

on Apr. 25 2011 at 9:42 am
Awwh thanks, Mel !! I can't wait to read your stuff :)

on Apr. 25 2011 at 9:42 am
Awwh thanks, Tommy !! :)

on Apr. 25 2011 at 9:41 am
Awwwh thanks, Kat !! I'm glad you liked it !

Kitkat said...
on Apr. 25 2011 at 9:05 am
AWWWWW ELissa! this was great! i loved the part about androgynous david! and i totally agree with your opinion! 

SK8RAT11 said...
on Apr. 25 2011 at 8:36 am
How did you know that was me? I wanted to make it sound anonymous! :(

TommyB said...
on Apr. 25 2011 at 7:43 am
Wow Elissa this is really good :D

Free- GOLD said...
on Apr. 25 2011 at 7:13 am
Free- GOLD, Blllll, Kentucky

"I believe in you and I believe in me, and I believe that we are not meaningless."
"What a waste of a perfectly good wrist."

really good! mature and clear writing :)--mel

OliviaO said...
on Apr. 25 2011 at 7:11 am
Elissa, this is fantastic! Your points are really clear and your style of writing is sophisticated and captivating.  good job :D

on Apr. 25 2011 at 7:05 am
This is sooooo amazing Elissa!!! You are soo gifted!!!!! Love you!!!!

Awwwh, Al thanks !! You should totally submit something, and I mean it !

Abby G/ Abigail/ Old man/ Jer !! (we need to decide on just one) Thanks so much. It makes me happy to hear that ! I'm glad you liked it !

SK8RAT11 said...
Olive! This is very well written. I am glad you recommended this for me to read. Again, good job!