How to Become Popular. | Teen Ink

How to Become Popular.

December 8, 2010
By Camille GOLD, Milo, Maine
Camille GOLD, Milo, Maine
12 articles 2 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
Some wish to live within the sound of a chapel bell; I wish to run a rescue mission within a yard of hell. -C.T. Studd.


It's not easy being the popular girl but you should all be grateful because I am about to tell you the best secrets to help you reach OMG popularity. First and foremost, looks are everything. There is no reason you should have to walk around with wild hair and in sweats with sneakers. Instead, you must always look pretty. I mean, who doesn't want to look their best all the time? Make up, hair styling, nails and skin care are crucial to beauty success. To follow that, you must only wear the most expensive, high-end brands from a boutique clothing store. You don't want to be classified as one of those cheep, penny-pinching shoppers who shop the clearance racks at the back of the store.. right? Next, you must always write with a pink pen. If not pink, purple will do, but if possible, pink is the best option. If your pink pen can be fruity-scented, then you are really pushing the popularity levels. You want to leave your fab mark on this world and your fruity pink pen can do just that. Third, you are only allowed to have one true BFF. That one BFF is the only, the only one to ever see you out of glam-mode. Fourth, you must have at least 3 pretend BFF's that only your real BFF and you know that they are pretend. The minimum of these 4 BFF's will be your posy, the girls you do everything with. You don't want to be a loser-loner do you? Lastly, if you have to get catty, get catty. You're the popular girl, no one is above you and if someone thinks they can diss on you, you must protect your domain. YOU are the queen of every castle, every jungle. You cannot however, be mean to your pretend BFF's for this might reveal the true nature of your friendship and we wouldn't want a TTYL text war amongst the popular posy. Instead, you must all get together, do facials, cut out cute boys from magazines and cry over a girly movie.

The author's comments:
This short essay was part of an AP English assignment in class. I am NOT writing this piece out of my own perspective. Instead, I thought it would be a fun, satirical essay that people could relate to. Enjoy!