Why the Hate? | Teen Ink

Why the Hate?

August 27, 2010
By AeroRyuu SILVER, Lake Mary, Florida
AeroRyuu SILVER, Lake Mary, Florida
5 articles 6 photos 8 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Everything's alright in the end. If everything's not alright, then it's not the end."


Many people in this day and age are quick to judge. Just because someone likes to wear black, we assume they’re gothic. If men wear skinny jeans, we assume they’re gay. If a girl wears guy clothes we assume she wants to be a guy. If someone were to wear crazy outfits for the fun of it, we assume they’re transgendered. If someone is from France, they must be rude. And if someone listens to heavy metal scream-o, we assume they want to kill themselves. But the one that I find interesting is why people dislike the Jonas Brothers. Honestly, I can’t think of a single thing as to why people don’t like them. I can understand (and I respect) it if they simply don’t like pop music or their songs—I don’t like Miley Cyrus—but not liking them because of who they are is a terrible reason. I know what you’re thinking, “I don’t like them because they can’t blah blah blah blah blah,” or, “I don’t like them because they’re blah blah blah blah blah.” Well it’s time to face the facts. The Jonas Brothers are more than what meets the eye.

1.
They’re Disney so they must be bad.
What a lot of people don’t know about the Jonas Brothers is that they didn’t start out being a Disney band. Originally they were signed with Columbia Records but since they weren’t known as well as they had hoped. Let’s face it, Columbia Records had bands like BBMak, John Mayer, and Bruce Springstein so if Columbia Records signed them, then they must be good.
2.
Their fans are the most annoying things in the world.
I understand where you’re coming from but that’s only about thirty girls in the WORLD. I am a Jonas Brother fan but you don’t see me saying “OMG!!!!111!!! I LUV D JONAS BROS!111111!!!!!!ONEONEONE!!!!!111”. In fact, I personally have never seen anyone anywhere typing like that (except from the people who are imitating Jonas Brothers fans) and I am a troller of everywhere Jonas. Nowhere have I seen a fan that crazy.
3.
Their music sucks.
I get it, everyone has their own taste in music. If you like the songs that they play in Hot Topic or classic rock, then I understand if you don’t like the Jonas Brother’s pop music. But if it’s a matter of the songs you hear on the radio that you don’t like, then you need to take another look. Seriously, check out their songs like “Don’t Charge Me For the Crime”, “Sorry”, “Can’t Have You”, “Conspiracy Theory”, or even “Vesper’s Goodbye” and you’ll see that they’re not just bubblegum pop music.
4.
They can’t sing.
What do you define as ‘singing’? Screaming in the middle of your love ballad like Aerosmith? Or perhaps screaming through your entire song? Some people like trained voices like those found on Broadway. In case you didn’t know Joe Jonas performed in Madame Butterfly, an opera, when he was younger and Nick Jonas performed in Les Miserables twice. Recently he played one of the lead roles in Les Miserables and it wasn’t just because he was famous. If you type “Nick Jonas Les Mis 2010 Empty Chairs” into YouTube you’ll hear him singing and—I promise—you will not believe what you are hearing.
5.
They’re ugly, wear skinny jeans, and are gay.
Personally, I have no idea what their looks have to do with their music. There are tons of artists in this world who I don’t find attractive yet I still listen to their music. Just because they wear clothes that you might think are questionable doesn’t mean that they’re gay. Take Britney Spears for example. She wears the skimpiest clothes out there yet everyone seems to think that she’s not gay. And just because Fergie doesn’t wear petticoats and long dresses all the time, that doesn’t mean that she’s gay. Just because someone doesn’t wear the clothes that normal people wear, that doesn’t change the way they sing, it just makes them different. And while we’re talking about being ‘gay’, how can Kevin Jonas be gay if he’s married? Don’t even think about saying it’s so he can take off his purity ring because if you had a purity ring and got married, how would you feel if someone accused you of what people accuse Kevin of. Also, Joe Jonas and Nick Jonas just haven’t found the right one yet, that doesn’t mean they’re gay. I have never had a boyfriend (or girlfriend) before, does that make me gay?