You're Different, Alright - Just Like Everyone Else | Teen Ink

You're Different, Alright - Just Like Everyone Else

July 28, 2010
By Lifeisabeach GOLD, Eau Claire, Wisconsin
Lifeisabeach GOLD, Eau Claire, Wisconsin
18 articles 2 photos 10 comments

Favorite Quote:
Sometimes, good things fall apart so that better things can fall together.


There are a lot of things in this world that piss me off. I'm a very piss-off-able kind of person. One thing in particular that really just pushes my buttons are people who consciously try to be different for the sake of a label like "scene", "emo" (Yes, kids, I know. This term is no longer legit because it is too "mainstream" for y'all. But, unfortunately, it exists, nonetheless), and other such titles. You know who you are. You boys and girls who only listen to music that no one else does and then when it becomes mainstream you suddenly can't stand it anymore. You ladies and gentlemen who only sport the strangest of clothing and hairstyles not because they flatter your face or make you stand out from the crowd in a good way, but because they are just plain fricking weird. You guys and gals who use terms like "ninja" and "dinosaur" on your Facebook pages because you think it's funny or cute or something. (It's not.) Don't get me wrong, I think tattoos are inspiring. I think mohawks are alluring. I think piercings are, when done correctly, super cute. I enjoy these things because people acquire them on behalf of self-expression and certain interpretations of beauty - NOT because they want people to like them or call them a "scene kid".

Now that I'm thinking over that last paragraph, I'm reminded of a girl in my world studies class who used to engage in such annoying behaviors in middle school but has stopped...sort of. She's now a druggie-hippy, because scene kids, in high school, anyway, are generally classified as "losers". Only now, a fourth of my school is starting to dress like hippies and hipsters, and I keep asking, "Oh, dear Lord, what will be the next status sticker to take the place of artsy druggies and makeup-less, earth-friendly wannabes?"

You might ask, "Okay, girl. You're criticizing everyone else. But what gives you such authority? What kind of style do you sport that sets you above everyone else? Who died and made you the fashion police?" Audrey Hepburn, apparently. As far as my own style goes, I don't classify it, other than that I'd like to call it flattering and classy. I don't shop solely at Kathmandu, Hot Topic or Hollister. I shop literally everywhere. I like true fashion. Whatever looks good, I wear. I'm not afraid to scour the racks at Target for a cute summer dress. I listen to Jack Johnson, Bright Eyes, Lady Gaga, Lil Wayne, Sugarland, Keith Urban, Kid Cudi, My Chemical Romance, Cascada and Christina Aguilera and I couldn't give less of a flying fizz-nucker about what kind of person you think that makes me. And I'd like to point out that by no means do I feel above the young lads who choose such to be so irksome in their pop culture decisions. They are completely entitled to wear, listen to, watch, and say whatever they feel. But, as I am forced to attend school EVERY DAY, ALL DAY with what they wear, listen to, watch and say, I can't help but vent my irritation.

Whatever happened to timeless black dresses and sexy red heels? When did we stop feeling that it was okay to wear a graphic tee under a leather blazer one day and a light pink sweater and miniskirt the next? Was that ever okay? If you don't want people to label you, don't make it so easy for them. If you do want people to label you, then you're about as good as a soup can, because that's the only thing that can legitimately be labeled. People tell you that it's okay to be different because it is. However, they never encouraged you to actively attempt differentness. The idea is that you can wear what you want and people shouldn't judge you for it, not that you should dress how you want to be judged. It's complicated, I suppose, since fashion is all about opinions. But they should be about your own values and opinions, not about those of other people. So, for all of you ninja dinosaurs, for all of you pot-smoking hipsters, for all of you scene kids, congratulations! You're different, alright - just like everyone else.