How To Not Be A Regular Teenage Girl | Teen Ink

How To Not Be A Regular Teenage Girl

June 30, 2010
By MumblingMelanie DIAMOND, Jackson, Missouri
MumblingMelanie DIAMOND, Jackson, Missouri
79 articles 0 photos 210 comments

Favorite Quote:
Don't be a victim; be a titan.


I’ve written an article about how to be different, yes. But this is different: this is how to NOT be regular. Is it the same thing? Perhaps. But I’m writing about it anyway.

NUMBER ONE: DON’T ACT STUPID
It’s not cute to act stupid. Seriously, it’s not. It’s ridiculous, and, well...stupid! It’s actually quite the tragedy how many other girls I know who are convinced if they’re stupid, they’ll get a boyfriend! And since honesty is the best policy (ha), it must help, because all these girls who are giggle, giggle, “I’m so stupid!” DO have boyfriends. For those WANTING boyfriends, I am NOT encouraging you to go act like a blazing idiot to get some attention...because, that’s why they do it; to get attention. But anyway, if you get a boyfriend because you act like you don’t know how to spell your own last name...yeah, he probably doesn’t like you for your personality.

NUMBER TWO: WEAR REAL CLOTHING
I honestly don’t know how they do it. You see these girls with their underwear length shorts and God forbid they purchase a shirt that’s not skin tight. Again, I guess it’s an attention thing...I can’t imagine it’s for comfort or something of likeness. Really, I do give them a few points for being confident enough, but there’s this wonderful thing called modesty (and dignity) that they should invest in.

NUMBER THREE: PRY THE CELLULAR FROM THE EAR
This one really bothers me. I’m guilty of texting when I shouldn’t be (call me a hypocrite; you wouldn’t be wrong) but there are just times when the cell phone is not needed. For example, at a museum, on a vacation, in school, perhaps? Hate to sound like your great grandmother, but it’s true. I’ve seen many people texting and giggling at places like art museums and on school field trips. I guess it’s pretty fun to talk to your friend via text, especially the one standing right next to you, but when you have a chance to see the world, see things you’ve never seen before, take that chance for all it’s worth.

NUMBER FOUR: DON’T WASTE YOUR LIFE
This is going to sound like an oxymoron before I explain, but bear with me: don’t have a social life. Okay, now close the gaping mouth, and stop inching for the back button. What I mean is, have a life of your own, outside your buddies. If your best friend doesn’t want to see that movie you really, REALLY want to watch then go by yourself. You need friends, but you don’t need them with you all the time. Take time for yourself. If you seriously aren’t all that flirty-flirty but your friend wants to drag you to her latest eye candy’s baseball game so you can sweet talk a little, then refuse. Yeah, sometimes you have to give in. Life isn’t always what you wanted, so you’ll have to live through a few painful, awkward events. But don’t be a doormat and do what you want.

NUMBER FIVE: HAVE A MIND OF YOUR OWN
Three things I associate regular teenage girls with: boys, Hollister, and cell phones. So you’re shy, you like to make your own clothes, and you can’t text to save your life. So, what now? Obviously, you don’t change a thing! You are who you are and that’s good enough for me. Think for yourself (see my other article, 6 Ways To Be Yourself –if it posts, that is), have an opinion, and do what’s right. (I FEEL A QUOTE COMING ON: “Stand up for what’s right, even if you’re standing alone.” –that poster by the school bathroom) So, if your friends don’t like it, find some new friends.
And whatever you do, don’t settle for “regular.”


The author's comments:
Some quotes that really don't relate to the article a lot, but I like them...they're about controversy:

"Follow the path of the unsafe, independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the danger of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of "crackpot" than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that seem important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost." --Thomas J. Watson

"If it matters, it produces controversy." --Jay Greene

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." --MLKJ