The Barbie Effect

Imagine your perfect woman. 6 Feet tall, weighs 100 pounds, and her sizes are 39-19-33. And a bonus, she’ll never get pregnant. Every mans dream. Yes, we are talking about the most beloved doll of all time, the beautiful and perfect, Barbie.

This children’s toy was first debut in 1959, and she was the ideal role model for all girls, or so it seemed. She was perfectly skinny, had a perfect boyfriend and family, perfect hair, perfect house, perfectly… perfect. Yet how was this perfect doll impacting the millions of young girls who were playing with her?

The average girl from ages 3-11 owns at least 10 Barbie dolls and spends hours playing with them and dressing them up. And the more time anyone spends time with anything, the more influence it has on them. So this perfect doll has not had the best impact on young girls. Of course Barbie has had many good role model jobs such as a teacher or a vet, but what was her first job? A super skinny teenage fashion model, and no matter what the job, she’s kept that look that makes most every girl jealous.

There are more pressures on girls then ever before about the proper way to look and act and dress. And they feel the need to fit in and that the only way that they can fit in is by looking acting and dressing that certain way. Of course, Barbie is always there to start these trends. So when these young girls are playing with their brand new Barbie doll, their brain is registering everything about that doll. How popular and perfect she is, and so naturally these girls are beginning to want to be just like Barbie, happy and perfect all the time, which starts many of them on their way to eating disorders.

It’s estimated that 8 million people in the United States has an eating disorder, and only 10-15% of them are male. Which leaves the 85- 90% of them to be female. And 80% of those females are under the age of 20. Many admitting that they started worrying about their weight when they were between the age of 4 and six years old. That is around the age that a girl usually gets her first Barbie doll, and many of the girls who have or had an eating disorder admitted that Barbie played a huge role on their influences in behavior and looks. And that they were led to believe that the only way to be happy and have a wonderful life is to be just like Barbie, with the super skinny look.

In 1965 Mattel came out with a “Slumber Party Barbie” that came complete with a bathroom scale permanently set at 110 pounds. The doll also came with a book entitled How to Lose Weight. And inside this book it gave the advice: “Don’t Eat”. The matching Ken doll also came with slumber party accessories, but his were milk and cookies, sending a very different message about body image and weight for different genders. Of course, after this doll came out the company’s sales dropped drastically and so they came out and said that they would try to give Barbie a more “real” look, and her sales went back up.

Of course, it’s not all about the weight. Barbie is also known for her perfect looks. Hair, makeup, clothes, the works. These also lead girls to spending hours globbing on makeup, destroying their hair with dye and straighteners and curling irons, and begging their parents for clothes from the most expensive and popular stores to try to achieve this perfect look.

Some of the older, and richer, women also spend thousands of dollars trying to achieve this “perfect” look. Including plastic surgery, face lifts, and having a professional stylist for every day.

One such woman is named Sarah Burge and she’s from the UK. She spent over 1 million dollars just to achieve that Barbie look. Being the perfect example of how Barbie has hurt women everywhere. Her story started like every other girl who goes through this, since she was young she was taught that in order to be beautiful, you had to have the perfect hair, clothes and makeup. The older she got, the more convinced of this she was. Somewhere along the line, she decided to blow thousands of dollars trying to get this ideal look. She claims now that she has so much more confidence and that women everywhere would be smart to go through this, because “it’s okay for women to be someone they’re not.” Just another one of Barbie’s wonderful lessons. And every year she spends thousand more on her “maintenance” to keep this look up.

She is teaching young girls everywhere exactly what Barbie is teaching them, in order to be fabulous, you have to be perfect.

Barbie also brings about another thing that she makes young girls lust for, the material objects. I know that when I was little, I wanted the Barbie dream house so bad. And that list kept growing, the pink car, the swimming pool, even to the Barbie mall.

Barbie has many material objects that make her life seem totally perfect, and with every new job she gets, the more stuff she gets.

There have been people spending millions of dollars just to have their houses look like Barbie’s. Complete with swimming pools, chandeliers in the bathrooms, and the Barbie logo plastered all over the walls.

Or there’s Paris Hilton, with her wonderful Barbie car, as the media has called it. She has the pink car that would probably even make Barbie jealous. Her 200,000 dollar car came from the childhood dream, like most young girls, to have a car just like Barbie’s.

Overall, Barbie does not have the best effect on young girls, and that later carries on through the rest of their life. Barbie’s effect has caused bankruptcy, low self esteem, and eating disorders. Leading to death. This beautiful doll gives a whole new meaning to the phrase “if looks could kill.” Thank you.

BeYou said...
Mar. 31, 2012 at 12:26 pm:
SO TRUE! Good Job!

nottelling said...
Feb. 21, 2012 at 3:12 pm:
it's sad that none of you see the hope that barbie gives girls. Barbie is perfect, im not going to argue that however i am not and im not going to blame my life problems on a doll. To me she was a way to get away from my problems and hope that one day i could be as great as her. she is a wonderful role model.

coolperson replied...
Jun. 8, 2013 at 8:19 pm :
I agree entirely. It's pretty pathetic to blame everything on a doll.

scarper94 said...
Dec. 12, 2011 at 10:28 am:
this is great. it really surpises me how messed up things are in this world.

theprincess95 said...
May 28, 2011 at 3:16 pm:
Ever since I was little people have always compared me to Barbie.  It really bugs me!  I'm tall, thin and a natural blonde, but far from perfect.  Barbie has ruined it for all us naturals out there, we can't help it!  I think stereo typing blondes is very wrong.

moomoocow replied...
Jun. 28, 2011 at 3:16 am :
Totally agreed.

Halee said...
Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:55 pm:
I am using your speech for a paper im writing and to give you credit i need to know your name...its okay if you dont want to give out that information

SarenDipity replied...
Mar. 28, 2011 at 6:39 pm :

wow, sorry I just barely saw your comment!

I hope this isn't too late, but either way, my name is Saren Bennett. I hope that my article helped (:

John the Cat replied...
May 24, 2011 at 6:30 am :

using this for my barbie essay. lol

doing it with my girlfriend and going to compare each others.

freak91093 said...
Feb. 20, 2010 at 8:21 pm:
I know Barbie has affected the way I thought I looked. I always thought I was fat, until my doctor told me I was underweight. She's definately one of the reasons that some of the people I know had eating disorders. I'll admit that I liked her as a kid, but she isn't a good role model for young girls.

wixchick said...
Feb. 18, 2010 at 9:16 pm:
I would love to see Social Worker Barbie with an economy car and a standard house. She would have to work hard for things, I wonder how many girls would grow up wanting to emulate that instead?