The Barbie Effect

Imagine your perfect woman. 6 Feet tall, weighs 100 pounds, and her sizes are 39-19-33. And a bonus, she’ll never get pregnant. Every mans dream. Yes, we are talking about the most beloved doll of all time, the beautiful and perfect, Barbie.

This children’s toy was first debut in 1959, and she was the ideal role model for all girls, or so it seemed. She was perfectly skinny, had a perfect boyfriend and family, perfect hair, perfect house, perfectly… perfect. Yet how was this perfect doll impacting the millions of young girls who were playing with her?

The average girl from ages 3-11 owns at least 10 Barbie dolls and spends hours playing with them and dressing them up. And the more time anyone spends time with anything, the more influence it has on them. So this perfect doll has not had the best impact on young girls. Of course Barbie has had many good role model jobs such as a teacher or a vet, but what was her first job? A super skinny teenage fashion model, and no matter what the job, she’s kept that look that makes most every girl jealous.

There are more pressures on girls then ever before about the proper way to look and act and dress. And they feel the need to fit in and that the only way that they can fit in is by looking acting and dressing that certain way. Of course, Barbie is always there to start these trends. So when these young girls are playing with their brand new Barbie doll, their brain is registering everything about that doll. How popular and perfect she is, and so naturally these girls are beginning to want to be just like Barbie, happy and perfect all the time, which starts many of them on their way to eating disorders.

It’s estimated that 8 million people in the United States has an eating disorder, and only 10-15% of them are male. Which leaves the 85- 90% of them to be female. And 80% of those females are under the age of 20. Many admitting that they started worrying about their weight when they were between the age of 4 and six years old. That is around the age that a girl usually gets her first Barbie doll, and many of the girls who have or had an eating disorder admitted that Barbie played a huge role on their influences in behavior and looks. And that they were led to believe that the only way to be happy and have a wonderful life is to be just like Barbie, with the super skinny look.

In 1965 Mattel came out with a “Slumber Party Barbie” that came complete with a bathroom scale permanently set at 110 pounds. The doll also came with a book entitled How to Lose Weight. And inside this book it gave the advice: “Don’t Eat”. The matching Ken doll also came with slumber party accessories, but his were milk and cookies, sending a very different message about body image and weight for different genders. Of course, after this doll came out the company’s sales dropped drastically and so they came out and said that they would try to give Barbie a more “real” look, and her sales went back up.

Of course, it’s not all about the weight. Barbie is also known for her perfect looks. Hair, makeup, clothes, the works. These also lead girls to spending hours globbing on makeup, destroying their hair with dye and straighteners and curling irons, and begging their parents for clothes from the most expensive and popular stores to try to achieve this perfect look.

Some of the older, and richer, women also spend thousands of dollars trying to achieve this “perfect” look. Including plastic surgery, face lifts, and having a professional stylist for every day.

One such woman is named Sarah Burge and she’s from the UK. She spent over 1 million dollars just to achieve that Barbie look. Being the perfect example of how Barbie has hurt women everywhere. Her story started like every other girl who goes through this, since she was young she was taught that in order to be beautiful, you had to have the perfect hair, clothes and makeup. The older she got, the more convinced of this she was. Somewhere along the line, she decided to blow thousands of dollars trying to get this ideal look. She claims now that she has so much more confidence and that women everywhere would be smart to go through this, because “it’s okay for women to be someone they’re not.” Just another one of Barbie’s wonderful lessons. And every year she spends thousand more on her “maintenance” to keep this look up.

She is teaching young girls everywhere exactly what Barbie is teaching them, in order to be fabulous, you have to be perfect.

Barbie also brings about another thing that she makes young girls lust for, the material objects. I know that when I was little, I wanted the Barbie dream house so bad. And that list kept growing, the pink car, the swimming pool, even to the Barbie mall.

Barbie has many material objects that make her life seem totally perfect, and with every new job she gets, the more stuff she gets.

There have been people spending millions of dollars just to have their houses look like Barbie’s. Complete with swimming pools, chandeliers in the bathrooms, and the Barbie logo plastered all over the walls.

Or there’s Paris Hilton, with her wonderful Barbie car, as the media has called it. She has the pink car that would probably even make Barbie jealous. Her 200,000 dollar car came from the childhood dream, like most young girls, to have a car just like Barbie’s.

Overall, Barbie does not have the best effect on young girls, and that later carries on through the rest of their life. Barbie’s effect has caused bankruptcy, low self esteem, and eating disorders. Leading to death. This beautiful doll gives a whole new meaning to the phrase “if looks could kill.” Thank you.

Jackies63 said...
today at 1:52 am:
You did an amazing job tying in facts, about eating disorders and their causes, with something we can all relate to. Amazing article that really helped me trace back to the time that the negativity started.

Snickers said...
Jun. 24 at 5:27 pm:
Hello Miss Bennett. I am writing on research paper about Barbie and I need to give you credit in my works cited page. When was this article published on Teen Ink?

ilovebbqribs said...
Jun. 11 at 10:14 am:
you are an amazing writer

ErriSayaka said...
Jun. 6 at 5:37 pm:
I agree completely with this, I will admit that when I was younger I adored Barbie , I idolised her because I thought she was perfect and petit. Barbie had given me a fixed image of what the female body should look like ,and I just thought that anything else just wasn't pretty. In honestly not only am I dissapointed in myself for believing this , i am ashamed that this was the reality that we live in. I believe that todays generation should be taught to accept differences and that the aim is... (more »)

Colormerainbow said...
Apr. 23 at 7:54 pm:
I actually idolized Barbie not because of her body but because of what she could do. I had the astronaut Barbie, the doctor Barbie, the hairdresser Barbie, and the surfer Barbie. I actually think that Barbie had a positive effect on me.

TanazMasabaThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Apr. 22 at 7:33 am:
I've read articles related to the negative impact of barbie before, but your one is so far undoubtedly the best. And your ending was just classic. This beautiful doll gives a whole new meaning to the phrase "if looks could kill". Thank you. Definitely worth 5 stars rating.

izzy_0314This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 28 at 11:40 pm:
I really enjoyed reading your article because it shows that you did a lot of research and you really thought about the article. I think your conclusion is the best. "It brings new meaning to the phrase if looks could kill". That line is extremely clever and I for some unknown reason I really like it. Great job!

PaintTheWorld said...
Mar. 20 at 10:49 pm:
While I agree that some women have gone way overboard with Barbie, I can't say I agree that Barbie has that much of a negative effect on young girls. When I was little, I played with Barbies, but that was it. Barbie was just a toy. It was never something I actively tried to become. I understood that it wasn't real and no one looks like that. You don't start to think about body image until you are about 12 or 13, and by then most girls have given up their Barbie dolls. 

pretty-in-pink said...
Feb. 20 at 11:59 am:
this article really tells me alot about the effects of barbie. i am doing a speak up speak out project called the barbie doll effect and this article was the only one i needed. lol. this is a definite A+!!!!!

pretty-in-pink said...
Feb. 20 at 11:54 am:
this article really tells me alot. i am doing a school project over the negative effects of barbie, and i am pretty sure this is a definite A+

CrystalClear99 said...
Jan. 17 at 10:58 am:
This article speaks to me a lot. Ive always been self-conscious and I have a lways had trouble feeling beautiful. Barbie Dolls looks should not persuade you to lose weight and/or look that small. You're made the way you are for a reason.. Barbie is plastic. Barbie is a doll & that's all she will ever be.

Chicka said...
Oct. 14, 2013 at 10:41 am:
i agree with this article, i mean barbie has a horible influence on young girls i just hope she won't effect my daughters.

Mychelle lovely said...
Feb. 25, 2013 at 4:17 pm:
Hi, im writing a citation paper for school, and im using part of youre article, but i dont know youre name therefore its hard to give you credit

SarenDipity said...
Wow sorry I haven't checked on this in a while, but people keep asking for the date I wrote it. I believe it was actually in January 2010, so it's been a while! I realize now that there are some issues with my grammar in this now, but I promise all the information is accurate!

chaney_mom2011 said...
I'm planning on using this as part of some research I'm doing for a speech. I'd like to know when it was written/posted to give full credit to you in my professor's requested form. Thanks. XD

chaney_mom2011 said...
I'm using this as part of my research for a speech I'm giving. I was wondering what the date was that this was written to give a complete citation and credit. I already got your name from another paper writer. vv =)

TheTiffanyYang said...
Oct. 19, 2012 at 10:48 am:
When was this published? or posted?? Please reply. i am using this source. Please tell me if this is reliable.

michellemejia95 said...
Wow. Pretty deep! I'm shocked with the fact that the "Slumper Party" Barbie had those terrible things in it... like what the heck were they thinking? What type of advice is "Don´t eat"?

erinw--Jov said...
This is a really well-written work. You really did your research on this! Good conclusion.

BeYou said...
Mar. 31, 2012 at 12:26 pm:
SO TRUE! Good Job!