Technology: Good or Bad for Today’s Youth?

“Don’t text my heart,” these word of wisdom were spoken to me by the Christian writer Chad Estham, but what do these words mean? The youth today are becoming more and more attached to their technology. Relationships are being built online or through phones. Keyboards and keypads are becoming the keys to our heart. Technology provides a way of communication but is becoming the only way to communicate with today’s youth because it has made one on one interaction less frequent and has made a negative effect on the social abilities of the youth.
Technology is a great way to stay entertained but it is disconnecting people. Today’s Internet users have many ways to be occupied online. These days we have the ability to communicate on websites like facebook, ways to watch TV shows and clips mostly on YouTube, and play entertaining games like on addictinggames, all while on the computer. And we wonder why we have no in person friendships and dysfunctional families. Non-internet users spend 12.6 more minutes on average doing social activities, such as parties, sporting events, and person-to-person conversations (Nie and Hillygus). Internet users spend 34.3 minutes less than non-internet users with family and friends (Nie and Hilygus). Those who don’t switch off the computer, switches off all personal relationships with family and friends.
Technology like iPods and cell phones make a personal bubble and make it portable. Cell phones create a distraction from real life experiences and because of their ability to be taken anywhere, I see teens texting anywhere they can. Teens text while talking to someone else, at the dinner table, in the car if driving or not,at he movies, and worst of all in church. This tiny piece of plastic is distracting teens from the most important message of all. The message of God. iPods also create the distraction but it also sends a signal “visible from a good distance away, white earphones signal one thing to most people: don’t bother trying to talk to me” (Song). This action irritates people. I have a friend and whenever we get in the car she sticks her headphones in and I endure the rest of the car ride in silence. I find it rude. These bubbles are growing around so many people and someone just needs to pop them.
As you can tell, I am very much against technology but there are ways that is helps. It helps many people stay in touch with friends that might have moved away, “the internet can make it easier to keep in touch with old friends” (Coget and Ytaka). In my life, I will move on from all my friends and I will still want to stay in touch with them all, but it can be just as easy to look them up and ask if they would like to do something in person. Staying in touch can be done in person as much as over technology.
Some people have trouble making new friends and the internet provides ways to meet new people through chat rooms. I believe relationships built online can be a little eccentric but, “one study suggests that online relationships simply take longer to develop than those face-to-face and eventually can become as rich” (Coget and Yutaka). Online relationships can be dangerous because you never know who’s on the other side of the chat.
You can become more open over the internet if you don’t have a chance to meet others in real life. Meeting people online can give you confidence in who you are, but I believe it also tears you down. Knowing that you din’t have real frinds and resorting to making them online can make you feel worthless. Online relationships will either build you up or break you down.
“Data showed that as people in this sample used the internet more, theyreported keeping up with fewer friends,” so keep your friends (Affonso). Don’t be sucked into the internet and leave others behind. Most importantly, don’t let keypads and keyboards be the key to your heart.

SandyLee This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I agree. People are out in public parks enjoying nature... with their phones! As soon as classes are over everyone pulls out their phone. In the restroom, everyone has a phone in their hands. And even though lots of good things come with internet (ex. online friends), bad things like money-stealing hoax ads and rudeness really come up a lot. The internet is not only a great place to keep up with friends... often, people forget the manners they had in everyday life on the web, and act rudely in w... (more »)

abcde replied...
Jul. 4 at 9:36 am :
thanks  i  do  agree

Ladychristy said...
Wow I really like this. Technology really has distracted us from the word of God.  Very good, keep up the awesome work. :)

Amie54321 replied...
Apr. 27, 2011 at 11:36 pm :
Thank you! We all need to remember that He comes first(:

bruff96 replied...
Apr. 28, 2011 at 7:59 pm :
As a non-religious, I personally don't feel that technology has been distractiong from it. To me it seems that these religous places have often not been able to keep up with an ever changing world.

Amie54321 replied...
Apr. 28, 2011 at 11:06 pm :
Its not that they cannot keep up with the world, its just that they don't want to be roped into the new temptation that comes with the world. But thanks for the feedback(:

R4nier38 said...
My brother-in-law was just telling me about how he feels technology has caused our generation (and future ones) to lack in creativity. Today, everyone wants the new and latest technology. However, that satisfaction only last a short while. After awhile, we look towards something else new and exciting to entertain us. We then are piled up with all of these toys and gagets which we no longer seem to find entertaining. This "always needed something new" feeling causes us to overlook what ... (more »)

SandyLee This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Apr. 27, 2011 at 6:11 pm :
Agreement. Last year only I had a classmate in my english class who hated reading (I love reading, drawing and writing--in fact, they're my hobbies). Anyways, this classmate of mine said once, to me: "how do you read? It's just reading words." I was absolutely horrified. Now this person is very popular with a large group of people.

carstorm replied...
Apr. 29, 2011 at 2:59 pm :
I don't completely agree with this. Some people may lack creativity but many are just simple expressing it in different ways. Look up home made videos. Also look at indie games. Many of them (most notably in recent times, Minecraft) are made by just a small group, if not one person and many are oridinal and sucessful.

R4nier38 replied...
Apr. 29, 2011 at 4:44 pm :
I completly understand what you're saying and I think so too. Technology can be used in a creative way. I'm thinking more of the people who use it for self entertainment (instead of thinking something up themselves).

CharBubble said...
Apr. 27, 2011 at 6:06 am:
Really well constructed! I am glad someone finally realizes that it is just plain rude to listen to an ipod while with someone! Keep up the great work!

Apr. 27, 2011 at 6:13 pm :
 People do that to me all the time. It's almost absurd that people actually expect me to believe them when they're obviously staring into their phone/computer and telling me 'it's ok; I'm listening.'

ellpuds123 said...
Apr. 13, 2011 at 11:08 am:

this is good  stuff

Amie54321 replied...
Apr. 27, 2011 at 11:36 pm :
Thank you(: