Clones, they're everywhere! | Teen Ink

Clones, they're everywhere!

By mollypop013 BRONZE, Niagara On The Lake, Other
mollypop013 BRONZE, Niagara On The Lake, Other

I'm always perplexed with today's fashion. Not that it interests me in the slightest. But I've always wondered why people make some of the purchases they do. Why do people always buy the same styles of clothing?
I bought a leather jacket and classic black converse last year for the new year. I've always loved leather, my dad would put me in his old black jacket when I was small. I figured it was time to invest in my own jacket instead of just stealing his.
The jacket I chose was gray and fitted. On sale at "Le Chateaux" during boxing day. I'd saved up for two weeks just to get it.
I love that jacket (even now), because I know I'm not going to see someone else in my neighborhood will have one.
Not like those ridiculous plaid coats, or pea coats that I saw everyone wearing during winter.
It was like looking at "Where's Waldo", only everyone WAS waldo.
Did everyone's mother go to a PTA meeting and decide to do this as a prank? Or are all my friends and classmates in some sort of cult where they all have a strict dress code?
Why, why, why must people buy what's in style?
Doesn't it even matter what you like anymore?
I swear I once walked into class and saw everyone (including the boys) wearing a pink "Hollister" shirt. I was tempted to come to school next time with an "anti Hollister" shirt, made by my favorite band "Final Thought", just to get some variety.
Do you people really care that much of what people think of them?
Wearing labels and what's in style isn't everything you know. Try showing a little personality. That cardigan you saw last week may be in style, but does it fit you?
Maybe you're the type of person that looks great in sweat pants.
I'm tired of telling my friends that skinny jeans won't make you look thinner, and if I know what they're wearing is in style or not.
It doesn't matter.
You are you, and clothes are just there to cover you goodies.
Get over it.

That leather jacket I bought ended up being in style that spring. Style is a living thing, and you don't need to have it to work it.