School uniforms | Teen Ink

School uniforms

August 27, 2009
By Anonymous

Parents always talk about how If schools had uniforms, everything would be so much eisier. You wouldn't get caught up on looks and would learn the skills you need. I disagree with this, I think that school uniforms would put a restriction on our creativity. We dress the way we do for a certain reason.
Clothes give us expression and the ability to use color and patterns. The first impression we get of people is usually clothes, facial expression and language. If we all wear the same thing we don't get to really see what people are like on the inside. Usually girly girls wear pink and frilly things. Skaters wear baggy pants and goth usually wear black. Clothes don't distract us form learning the studies we need to, it simply lets us inspire our imaginations and lights up our worlds.
putting school uniforms into order would probably make us rebell against it and we would only be able to express our creativity in things like art and music. Because of the current economic situation most art and music programs are being cut from schools because there is simply not eneough money to support them.



Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 240 comments.


rawr5 said...
on Jan. 7 2010 at 2:50 pm
i don't think schools should have uniforms.we all dress the way we do because that's who we are and if they take that away who know's what could happen?

CP3bigplay said...
on Jan. 1 2010 at 1:15 pm
CP3bigplay, Lyndhurst, Ohio
0 articles 0 photos 7 comments

Favorite Quote:
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Invictus, by William Ernest Henley

i go to a school that requires us to wear a uniform. boys have to wear solid color button down shirts with solid color ties. dress pants that are black or blue, a belt and black or brown dress shoes. girls have to wear a certain skirt, with a blouse and vest.

i see where you're coming from. but it's not all that bad. i've been doing this since kindergarten, and trust me, you get used to it. after a while your neck gets used to the feeling of a tie. it's not uncomfortable, and you're only in it for a few hours. the high schools i want to go to will require me to wear a similar uniform. so i say, it's not as bad as everyone thinks, and you get used to it.

ash2011 GOLD said...
on Dec. 22 2009 at 5:37 pm
ash2011 GOLD, Middletown, Ohio
10 articles 5 photos 14 comments

Favorite Quote:
I'm Just one of those regular weird people- Janis Joplin

YEAH!!! i totally agree. If everyone wore uniforms that would make us rebell more believe me i'v been there,in junior high we had uniforms and i still wore jeans but was thrown in in school suspension,sucked. WE HAVE THE RIGHT TO FREEDOM OF EXPRESSION. this is like telling someone to shut up, its unconstitutional just as well as telling someone they have to wear this everyday.......start a riot kids!!! if thats what it takes to get the stupid people in control to listen and i bet everyone would be all for a riot

on Dec. 21 2009 at 12:06 pm
Dreamincolor16 SILVER, Sunbury, Ohio
5 articles 5 photos 8 comments

Favorite Quote:
"The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing."



~Walt Disney

I also go to a school with uniforms. There are some days that make me wish we didn't have uniforms, but the fact is with uniforms we don't have to worry about being judged on out outfits. Uniforms give people the chance to show their personality in different ways, not just through clothes.

Jigjoo GOLD said...
on Dec. 15 2009 at 9:12 pm
Jigjoo GOLD, Many, Louisiana
10 articles 8 photos 30 comments

Favorite Quote:
Hello. My name is Muerte, and I will be your assassin today.

My school doesn't have uniforms, but we may as well. We aren't even allowed to wear large earrings anymore.

on Dec. 6 2009 at 5:25 pm
live.laugh.love.18, Evanston, Wyoming
0 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow.

i agree too! not all places have the right "color" of clothes, and if they do, it might not fit the dress code. right? we've never had uniforms, but i've heard both sides.

on Dec. 6 2009 at 1:29 pm
Emma.H.96 DIAMOND, Kalamazoo, Michigan
65 articles 0 photos 67 comments

Favorite Quote:
You own everything that happened to you. Tell your stories. If people wanted you to write warmly about them, they should've behaved better. -Anne Lamott, from Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life.

wow, never really thought about it that way! please check out some of my other work!!!!

Miss ME said...
on Dec. 5 2009 at 6:58 pm
Me to we have dress down days and thats what me and my friends do we were cute jewlry to express our selfs but were alowed to were make up

on Nov. 28 2009 at 10:57 pm
ReadingFanatic SILVER, St. Louis, Missouri
6 articles 0 photos 14 comments

Favorite Quote:
“Nobody important? Blimey, that’s amazing. Do you know, in nine hundred years of time and space I’ve never met anyone who wasn’t important before.”

I go to a school that has uniforms. It's not that bad really. To express yourself you can wear a cute necklace, or braclet. You have what we call "dress down days" where you can dress down in regular clothes as long as its not to out of hand. And guess what girly girls? No makeup allowed in my school.

bbyy angel said...
on Nov. 12 2009 at 5:34 pm
i like yur view point

yur right

parents are just wastin there money on sumthing that isnt worth it

i used to wear skool uniform &nd they pretty boring &nd lame

on Nov. 2 2009 at 7:46 pm
ILoveCoffee BRONZE, Airdrie, Other
1 article 0 photos 13 comments
school uniforms arent that bad. clothing is not the only way to express your personality.

on Oct. 25 2009 at 3:29 pm
Heather Decker, Hillsdale, New York
0 articles 0 photos 6 comments
I know! I would hateeee to wear a uniform, it totally disguises your personality and you can't express yourself. And i can kinda understand how some people would want a uniform so they don't get sterotyped on how they dress, but i mean after awhile, im sure you would hate to wear the same thing day after day.

on Oct. 24 2009 at 2:04 pm
delizabethl PLATINUM, Linesville, Pennsylvania
33 articles 0 photos 33 comments
I used to wear uniforms. They weren't uncomfortable, and they weren't tacky or boring. They were equalizers. In ordinary schools, people use their clothes to bully others, and to make people embarrass about they're wearing. People might think clothes are a third of who people are, but with ever-changing fashions, who knows what people are really like? With uniforms, people are dressed the same, and how they think and act sets them apart from the crowd. I'm sorry, but I'm just going to have to disagree with you here.

on Oct. 18 2009 at 1:15 pm
Emma.H.96 DIAMOND, Kalamazoo, Michigan
65 articles 0 photos 67 comments

Favorite Quote:
You own everything that happened to you. Tell your stories. If people wanted you to write warmly about them, they should've behaved better. -Anne Lamott, from Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life.

that is exactly my point. Thank you for understanding!

on Oct. 15 2009 at 11:17 am
reginalove SILVER, Lorain, Ohio
7 articles 0 photos 17 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Obstacles are what you see when you take your eyes off the goal."

I agree, school uniforms limit personality. They're actually harder to shop for because there are so many restrictions. It s stupid! And about the school uniforms blur the difference between a rich and poor kid, it doesn't. The rich get their stuff from abercrombie and the poor get theirs from walmart. Theres all the difference! I wear uniforms and people think I'm rich because of how I wear my uniform and I'm not. Uniforms cause students to rebel and go against the dress code, so they lose class time when they get in trouble because their belt is the wrong color.

alysha said...
on Oct. 13 2009 at 9:38 am
I think she is right about disagreeing about school uniforms. I think we should have a little bit of choice about what we wear to school.

windblossom said...
on Oct. 3 2009 at 6:16 am
windblossom, Hyderabad, Other
0 articles 19 photos 87 comments

Favorite Quote:
"The caterpillar does all the hard work, but the butterfly gets all the publicity"

I totally agree with the points you've said, but u knw school uniforms actually remove all differences. like a rich kid and a poor kid would look the same. so it kinda removes that inferiority complex! and just a small fact, almost 95% of the schools in India have school uniforms compulsory! so it isnt all that bad either ! :)

Knile97 said...
on Oct. 1 2009 at 10:05 am
Wow! I think school uniforms would be a great thing to have at schools here so kids won't feel self-conscious about what they wear and what people will think of them.

on Sep. 30 2009 at 11:55 am
i totally agree wiht i you i am against uniforms as well. my bestfriend has to wear uniforms and he hates it(: it makes me laugh but i had to try them on one time just for laughs and they were uncomfortable,, they seemed to be boring,,and they didnt let you express who you are i didnt feel like the kassy i actually am it made me feel like an outcast..